General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90 accord problems after intake instal

Old 08-09-2006, 03:03 AM
Default 90 accord problems after intake instal

now i dont know if its the new intake i installed that is causeing things but i got this 90 accord wit 71,800 on it. I have not changed anything yet not even oil cuse it looked ok but i need to change it. it was sittin for a month before i bought it. I just put in a ractive intake on it and it drove fine for a couple hours but then it when i would start it , it would just cut out. Then while i was drivin the gauges would just go down to zero and the lights would go off on the dash like seat belt, sport shift (off n on) then the check engine kicked on. so i got it to my house and just lettin it cool down till morning...o yea it had half tank of gas and i got it almost to e then i filled it up a little bit. please tell me what ya think i could be.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:29 AM
Default RE: 90 accord problems after intake instal

Did you install the MAF sensor?? This could cause check engine issues and potentially rough idle, etc and maybe some of the other problems.

But it sounds to me like you have an electrical problem. If you removed your battery make sure the cables are nice and tight and free of corrosion. Check that any electrical connectors you removed are reconnected.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:34 AM

Well, first thing I would do is get that CEL posted for all of us. Posting that here will assuredly solve your problem. As far as the intake, I strongly doubt it is causing these problems. Perhaps check to make sure the MAF sensor is snuggly plugged back in: maybe it wiggled out, as this will cause the car to run poorly and stall out when you start it up(your car's ECU knows how much fuel to add via this sensor, among others.) The MAF is located on the throttle body on my 01, but not certain on yours. It will be somewhere before the intake manifold on the intake tubing/tb. Also, please fill us in on what happened to you not being about to start it, or if you managed to get it going somehow? Starting problems could be main relay, ignition, or fuel problems so need to figure that part out.

Ha, fireballer beat me to the MAF sensor suggestion.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

does the car start and die right away ?? if so do not let go of the key,, just back it off the start position if car stays running you got a bad electrical portion of the ign switch..

Old 08-09-2006, 10:28 AM

thanks for the input yall. couple things... do u mean M.A.P. sensor? (manifold absolute pressure) also where can i get the CEL codes read so i can post them? ( im a noob so i appreciate the help) also can it have anything to do wit the intake control system? if anyone has haynes 90-93 accord its on page 4-14....i just suggest it cuse that was for the stock intake and there is nothing connecting into it now its just there. o and about the starting it would start then die...i would push the throttle a bit and it would start up...and the idle is really low under 1 and sometimes close to 0. my friend who is a mech said the car might be try to use the same info from the stock intake to so he suggested disconnecting batt to let ecu reformat...also change spark plug+ wires since they are probably old. also about the electrical things happening he said perhaps the changing distributer or i think he said the wheel/gear thats in it? cant remember but it was a cheap part... and just so peps dont think hes tryin to rip me off if ya dont think its that he doesnt charge me anything...just adding that. Thanks for the help. please respond when ya can.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:15 AM

ok now my car will start and go to 1000 rpm then just die even if i hit the gas...so please tell me what you think it might be thanks.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:49 PM

also when i put the key in the slot before the car starts nothing ligths up anymore....put when i turn it some lights turn on then it dies.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

wiggle the key see if the lites on the instr cluster come on,,
like i said it sounds like the electr part of the ign switch

Old 08-09-2006, 04:18 PM

Just as future notice, it's a good idea to reset your ECU after adding new parts such as the intake so that your car relearns everything. Once you've put the negative terminal back on, just let the car sit at idle for 10minutes and then your set. However, I don't believe your problem here is that simple. I think dh might be right on it, or it could be a sensor you forgot to plug in.

As far as you saying there is nothing plugged into the aftermarket intake, was there something plugged into the stock?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:19 PM

That sounds pretty close to the key thing. It isn't hard to replace. I did my brother's car in 30 mins and we got the harness at UPullIt for $5.