General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Default 90 Honda Accord

I have a 1990 Honda Accord that hopefully someone can help with this problem. It intermitantly will not start, it will turn over but will not start. My localo Honda nmechanic has changed the whole ditributor and the main power relay but the problem still persists. When it won't start, if I turn the key off and on several times it will then start. When it doesn't start it doesn't matter if it is hot or cold out and it could have been sitting for a long while or 5 minutes. If someone has any ideas I would appreciate it as my mechanic and I are stumped and I do not want to replace more parts that might not be the problem.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:53 PM

Hi,

I have a similar problem going on.

At start up, before you try to crank it, can you hear the fuel pump running while the CEL is on?

Was the new relay Honda OEM? I have heard of intermittent new non-Honda relays.

Another possibility is a "sticky" fuel pump. You know, needs a couple jolts of juice to get it moving. Someone recommended, once you know voltage is going to the pump, try whacking on the fuel tank to encourage it to go (this result would call for a new pump).

Here is my thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...rst-try-43159/

Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Almost A Senior Member

My 1993 LX had a similar problem for the previous owner. He had a new ignition switch installed which solved the problem. Apparently, this is a well known issue with this generation Honda. It is relatively inexpensive...About $50 for the switch and an hour of labor. It is an older car and likely your switch needs replacement....Moving parts and electrical contacts inside it do wear out. Aftermarket (Beck/Arnley) switch @ about $45 to $55 is a lot less than factory Honda..$190 !!

Last edited by bigpat; 10-31-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 PM

Pat,

Yes, I read about that all the time. I think, however, that correctly-functioning dash lights (e.g., the CEL comes on and stays on for, like, two seconds and then goes out) suggests it may not be the ignition switch. Right?

My problem is super intermittent, and I am trying to stay focused and watch the CEL every time I start it.

Roy

Old 11-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Almost A Senior Member

You are correct about the dash lights...If lit could rule out the ignition key switch. It is a bit strange that cycling the key switch on/off repatedly will allow a start...That still seems to be indicative of a wornout or faulty key switch...Good Hunting !!