General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 4dr accord lx problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 03:03 AM
trixpb144
Unregistered
Default 91 4dr accord lx problem

hey there, i have a major problem thats scaring the **** outta me. i have a 91 honda accord LX, the car runs fine, but theres been a problem, the car backed fired on me, its an automatic, i was ****tin bricks, and then when it does that, the check engine light comes on, i change the oil and the thermostat, and im thinking of changing the belts, and hopefully that will end the misery, please help before i take it to mechanic. please please i need help

Old 06-24-2006, 03:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 91 4dr accord lx problem

changing the oil , t-stat and belts,, hae nothing to do with the chk engine lite,, ,,,IF you are changing them thinking that it will help the problem than it is a waste of your money,,,

you need to read the code on the ecu and post it here ....
To read the code you need to jump the SC ( service connector) a blue plug with 2 wires located under the dash below glove box . by the kick panel..
use a paper clip, jump the wires together, turn the ignition key on and read the blinks on the instrument cluster

a longer blink = 10

a short bilnk = 1

let the pattern repeat 2 -3 times to make sure that there is only one code stored and also to make sure you are reading it correctly..

Old 06-24-2006, 04:06 PM

Yeah, we'll definetly need the code to point you in the right direction. You said it runs fine, but when it back fired, what were you doing as far as driving? Was the car idling or accelerating or what?

Don't start replacing things before you have a good idea of what's going on. No need to spend money on something that won't solve the problem at hand.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:25 AM
trixpb144
Unregistered

hey i didnt understand how to do that technique of checking the blinker thing, but one mechanic assumes its the o2 sensor. heres the situation because i dont think i stated it clearly.

i was driving on the highway doing about 75 or 80 (sorry im a speedy and i have a radar detector), so i stop to pay the toll, then when i began to accelerate, it was like locking up at 35-40mph. and a short while after the check engine light came on, and the car drove smoothly, like if nothin happen. im planning on taking the car back to the mechanic and bitch at him because hes done a horrible job, and i also miss two days of work which cost me at 16.50 and hour, i need serious help, i love my honda, and i've done alot of work to my car as far as audio and video, please help

Old 06-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

go to the DIY section,,, OBD TROUBLE CODES.. click on the link and read up on it ,, it will make you understand a bit better ..once opened if you scroll all the way down there is the list of codes for your car is the OBD1 codes..