General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Default 91 accord

Hi guys I'm in the process of buying a 91 Honda Accord and the guy who is selling it was driving it out to me so I could see it and he said it just died on him. He said that when it died the "S" came on on the panel. I think he said it was supercharged? is that possible? He said he tried starting it and it wouldn't start up at all and he had to tow it home. It was raining really bad last night and I'm thinking that might have something to do with it?

I did print out the post that said what to look for w/ no start issue but does any of this make sense?

Thankyou for any help you can give me.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

In the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link on checking engine codes.

That S light turning on means the transmission computer detected a problem.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:49 PM

He only wants $300.00 for it but I don't want to get it if let's say the pump is out. In your opinion do you think the torretial rain we had could've made that happen? I'm not really familiar with Accords-do they come supercharged?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

I really have no idea what is causing the problem. Checking the transmission codes is simple to do, so I would find the code(s) before guessing. The accords don't come supercharged from the factory. That is a mod with aftermarket parts.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

... or maybe the seller is clueless and it's not really supercharged.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:00 PM

I talked to the guy about it again and he said that when the car "died" the only light he saw come on was a green one with a "S" on it. When he went out to start it it would turn over but it wouldn't start. He said it sounded like it wanted to start but the battery was going dead. If I sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body just to see if it will start for a few seconds will that hurt anything. If anything I think that would confirm my idea that it is the fuel pump. They said it is getting spark so thats not the problem. Thankyou for your help so far.

Last edited by bluedemon; 09-30-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Grab a paperclip or a piece of thin wire and short the OBD1 connector.

Here is the link to the thread providing details.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-codes-35962/

There are some videos on YouTube as well showing how to do this.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:34 PM

I went ahead and printed out the "how to check CEL codes" and I'll bring that with me tonight when we go and try to start the car. Can you give me an idea on how I can check for spark in the dark-I mean can I just take a plug out and hold it against some metal and watch for spark when the key is turned. Also I do have a fuel pressure tester but will it work on a Honda or do I need a special adapter. Again thankyou for your help!

Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Almost A Senior Member

You can check for spark with a timing light.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 AM

Ok I just went out to the car and I was going to check the spark and when I pulled one of the wires out it was coated in oil I then checked the other three and 2 out of the last three were coated in oil. Does that mean the engine is junk? I could smell gas and hear the pump so I know that it was not that. I really like this car but I don't want to put too much money into it. The guy said he would just give me the car for free just so he could get rid of it. the car turns over just fine but I'm thinking it won't start because the oil is fouling out the plugs. What do you guys think?