General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord Axles

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question 91 Accord Axles

I have a 1991 accord that has been making front end noise for the longest time. It is a clicking sound when i turn and accelerate at the same time. A few months back i had one of the axles replaced by a mechanic as I was told it is a CV problem, however the noise never stopped. Now it's been getting very bad and I think something is going to give.

My delema is that I cant remember what side I had replaced last time so I can get the correct one fixed this time. I remember the mechanic saying it was the longer of the 2 axels. Does anyone know what side would be the longer side?

Also, I am 100% sure it's not a defective part that was replaced. As the same mechanic replaced it twice. (second time on warranty) As he thought maybe the noise didnt go away because of a dud part. So unless its not a CV problem it has to be the other axel. I dont want to go back to this mechanic again thats why I am on this web site trying to figure this out.

I also started noticing some vibration in the steering wheel, could a CV problem do this?

Old 10-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

The drivers side is usually the long axle.
I don't think that an axle would be the cause of driving vibration, but inner joints that have slung out all the grease can cause a light vibration under light accelleration.
I'd suggest that you get a helper to ride with you in a parking lot with the front windows down and make some tight turns to see if you can hear which side is really making the noise.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A bad CV joint will usually make a clicking sound when turning but not need to be accelerating. When I worked as a mechanic to know which side was bad after the test drive it was always the one with the torn CV boot. I don’t think a front wheel bearing could make a clicking noise but could give you a vibration. I would see if the front bearing has play in them when the weight is off the tires and inspect the CV boots for being torn to have a starting point. A vibration in the steering wheel should be something along the drive axes. The components are the tire, rim, wheel bearing, CV joint and axle shaft and just maybe the brakes. I would guess one of these components has failed. A wheel bearing problem will be heard and changes sounds as you change lanes.

Chris

Old 10-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I have ruled out the drive axles/cv joints. I finished replacing the right side axle and i still have a clicking noise. So the left was replaced 2X and the right once, all in the last few months. I am also 100% sure there is no rips in the boots, i just inspected it again.

The sound definitly is only there when i accelerate and turn (right or left it doesnt matter). And it is a clunk clunk clunk clunk until i get straightened out.

If I drive in circles without touching the gas pedal there is no noise. Is there some bushings or anything else that it could be? Would a bad ball joint make this sound? I have been in a car when a wheel bearing has gone and this sound is completely different.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:42 PM

Is it a clicking sound or clunk clunk clunk clunk ? If it is clunk then I would never had suggested anything to do with the CV joint as they make a clicking noise. A clunk is a very worn component usually but I can't think of anything that fits you symptoms. If it was my car I would be inspecting items to isolate the problem.

Last edited by kris_loehr; 10-16-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hi Member...

HondaDude's got you covered on that answer...

Old 10-16-2009, 11:00 PM

????????

A CV joint should give a clicking noise when turning and possibly a growling or humming noise, shudder, or vibration when accelerating or decelerating. He is not describing this(close) and now is saying it is a clunking noise and I have to believe he has already covered the CV joint in his search for a solution, which puts his problem into the something less by the book. He has replaced both axles without a change in symptoms.

litz:
Did you buy the car like these or had it previous? When did the problems start as in after some other work was done on the Honda or an accident or just started?

Last edited by kris_loehr; 10-17-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM
honda2
Unregistered
Default Clicking noise

I had the same problem after having my rack and pinion replaced. When I went back to the shop had a screw just about to come out just at the fender. The sound went away for a while but came back. Also had motor mounts replace top and bottom. Now I am hearing a popping sound when I turn my steering wheel tight to the left? don't know what it's from.