Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

1989 Honda Accord DX Automatic - Struts and axles and frustration. HELP!

Old 05-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Unhappy 1989 Honda Accord DX Automatic - Struts and axles and frustration. HELP!

OK... So Here goes. I Got this car with 120,000 Miles on it.. Decent shape. When I got it, the only real issues i noticed were the typical clicking while turning on the passenger side and it needed new struts pretty bad. So I started by replacing the axles. When I popped them out, no Tranny fluid came out this first time. I checked the level and there was enough fluid in the tranny so it didn't worry me.

Fairly easy swap but i noticed alot of play in the driver side on the new one. Could hear a little thunking while going over bumps. I used aftermarket refab axles.

So then I got some front struts. Replaced the passenger side and had an issue with the top strut nut on the the driver side at first. Then the passenger side axle started clicking. So I then read that there is alot of issues with the aftermarket refab'd axles, so I tried another set, this time from NAPA. I threw thoes ones on and was forced to replace the lower control arm on the passanger side due to bad bushings. So I did that... Got it all together, new struts, new axles, and started to drive, and POP, driver side axle popped out of the tranny and like a Qt of fluid came dumping out. Heard some grinding and freaked. On the side of the road i put the old one back on and it drove. The new passenger side started clicking louder. I put the old one back on that side, threw the lost fluid back in there and now its driving, but clicks on both sides when turning and accelerating. I had noticed i tightened the strut wishbone too low on the strut and fixed that, dosent help the clicking. everything is tight, ball joints seem fine, but when i pull the axle now, i always loose alot of fluid. Dont know if this matters. Why didnt this happen the first time I pulled the axles? Why only when it popped out? I have two Brand New non prefab'd axles coming this week. Is it really crap axles? or am i missing something?

Last edited by psarchotic; 05-11-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I had two sets of AZ axles that failed to fix a vibration under acceleration problem. Search CV axles for additional guidance.

A loose fitting axle will damage the shaft seal. It can be replaced w/ CV axle removed.

good