General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'91 Accord0---Check Engine Light On/Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Default '91 Accord0---Check Engine Light On/Rough Idle

Driving into work this afternoon check engine light came on and the car started idling rough and at a real low rpm (almost 0). Engine does have a small oil leak and I just drove the car 431 miles on friday without any problems at all. Any suggestions on what could be the cause before I take it to the shop???

Old 05-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: '91 Accord0---Check Engine Light On/Rough Idle

ORIGINAL: jayem722

Driving into work this afternoon check engine light came on and the car started idling rough and at a real low rpm (almost 0). Engine does have a small oil leak and I just drove the car 431 miles on friday without any problems at all. Any suggestions on what could be the cause before I take it to the shop???
you need to pull the code and post it here, it will give us more of an idea of what is going on ..oil leak should not have anything to do with it ,

to pull the code, just in case you are not familiar.. you need to jump the 2 wires in the service connector, which is located under right side of dash , by the kick panel, it is a blue plug and possably wrapped in blue tape if it has never been used ,, anyho, get a paper clip and jump the wires together, turn the ignition key on , and cound the blinks on the dash instrument cluster ,,,,,

long blink = 10
short blink = 1

so 1 long 5 short = code 15 ........ read the code ( s) 2 or 3 times to make sure you get it right and a possiblility of multi codes stored

Old 05-07-2006, 10:12 PM

Thankf or the advice, I'll try to get the codes myself if time allows for it but more than likely i'll end up taking it to a shop. Hopefully its nothing major never had any problems with the engine at all. It still drives normal just idles rough and feels like it wants to stall.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:08 PM

Turns out it i needed a standard tune up so i got plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor and also got valve gasket cover and gas filter. No problems as of now.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:40 PM

Glad you got it working!

Old 05-09-2006, 08:36 PM

Yea me too, engine still running strong

Old 05-13-2006, 08:44 PM

Same problem just started all over again? Just changed out distributor yesterday. Same symptons check engine light on after driving for about 10 mins and very low idle around 100-200 rpm and stalling?? I'm gonna have my mechanic check out for me on monday in the mean time any thoughts on the cause???

Old 05-13-2006, 08:48 PM

check engine light on after driving for about 10 mins a
What trouble code does it have stored?

Old 05-13-2006, 10:44 PM

not sure haven't plugged it up to the computer yet. Are the trouble codes stored even if the check engine light is not on???

Old 05-14-2006, 12:07 AM

not sure haven't plugged it up to the computer yet. Are the trouble codes stored even if the check engine light is not on???

no need to hook it up to any computer to read code,, if you scroll up a bit i described hot to read the code,,,,,,,,,,and yes if the computer has not been cleared it will store the cides..
My advice ... before you spend more money and your problem does not get fixed ,, read the code and post it here ..

Quick Reply: '91 Accord0---Check Engine Light On/Rough Idle