General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 LX Accord No Start

Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Default 91 LX Accord No Start

my 91 lx 5spd, is doing the same thing,,except my cel and batery light comes on with the key. my car hasn't thrown a cel yet though, but it wont start sometimes,. i need a running vehicle i need help,

Old 01-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I moved your post. Always start you own thread for your problem. Pinning to old thread confuses readers and responders.

Every time immediately prior to starting the car, turn keyswitch to On and listen for fuel pump to run 2-3 secs and cut off. CEL should go off w/ fuel pump. If you hear pump and note CEL cutting off, and no-start occurs, then problem is likely ignition related; ignition switch, ignitor, or coil.

If you notice missing fuel pump noise, the main fuel relay or fuel pump may be intermittent.

good luck

Old 01-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Unhappy thanx

sorry about the post earlier i was frustrated and never realy used forums befor, i got it to start and run now it just wants to cut off, i shook the key and it stayed running. i threw a cel, then put gass in it and the cel shut off,i here the relays working and the pmp works great, my dad helped me flush the cooling system,it idles beautifully now. but wen your driving it wants to shut off then start on its own wile accelerating. i need help i cant get a job with out a running car. im really frustrated. any ideas,
thank you for your help in advance

Old 01-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Since the check engine light turned on, check for codes. In the common diy thread on top of the gen tech forum, there is a link to getting engine codes.

Also, how many miles since you replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, distributor rotor? Have you check the air filter?

Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 PM

Is the CEL coming on when engine stops while driving. If not, the ignition switch is suspect. Jiggling the key is not a good test.

good luck

Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 PM

the cel went off after i put gas in it, me and dad found out i have no spark and the only culprit is the icm, so i need one of those, thats the only thing me and dad can think cause thats tied in with the switch. also its been about 600miles for cap rotor,plugs,and wires

Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 PM

Suggest checking the blk/yel wire at distributor connector for 12V when no-start condition is present. If 12V the fault is igntiion components; either coil or ignitor. In my experience, coil is somewhat more likely. Check DiY section for diagnosis procedures.

good luck