General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'91 LX Running Rought AFter Tune-Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Tisby
Unregistered
Default '91 LX Running Rought AFter Tune-Up

It's a 1991 LX and it's not running right after a minor tune-up... This is what I did:

-Changed Plugs (Autolite Double Plats)
-Changed Wires
-Changed Rotor & Distributor Cap
-Changed Fuel Filter

The car will run very, very roughly at about 500 RPMs, I believe that I have the wires correct, but the picture that I have is moderatly confusing, is there a better one around? Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 06-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: '91 LX Running Rought AFter Tune-Up

Hello Tisby........
First off,, on behalf of all of us i want to WELCOME you to HAF........

secondly GET RID of those JUNK autolite plugs and get a set of NGK ZFR5F-11 that's what your car calls for. also i hope that you installed Honda parts ( plug wires, cap, rotor)
i know they are a bit more expensive than the non factory stuff but your car will love you for it ..

Now ,, if the car was running ok before you tuned it up,, a feew thing you might want to chk for the running rough..

first off, make sure you reposition all the wires correctly , you might have some crossed wires ,,,,,rotation ( 1342 ) clockwise on the distr cap..
make sure all the plugs are gapped correctly and that 1 did not get banged and closed the gap ( seen it a few times ) .
double chk to make sure you got vacc hoses all plugged back in, the plugs at the emission box ? did you plug those back in after replacing fuel filter ??

Unfortunatelly i do not have a pic of the cap .. Hopefully someone else can scan one ..

Old 06-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Tisby
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: deserthonda
first off, make sure you reposition all the wires correctly , you might have some crossed wires ,,,,,rotation ( 1342 ) clockwise on the distr cap..
I think that's the problem right there... The Haynes Manual that I was going off of has the order of: 1-2-3-4 on the distributor cap. I would just like to clarify some things...

Clockwise on the distributor order is 1-3-4-2, with 12=1, 3=3, 6=4, 9=2 (with 12,3,6,6 being the numbers on the face of a clock)

Also, is the crappy drawing below correct?

FIREWALL
[ O O O O ] <---VALVE COVER
4 3 2 1
FRONT OF CAR

This place is pretty cool, glad to be here... Oh yeah, thanks!

Old 06-04-2006, 05:10 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Tisby

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

Clockwise on the distributor order is 1-3-4-2, with 12=1, 3=3, 6=4, 9=2 (with 12,3,6,6 being the numbers on the face of a clock)

i believe 6 oclock is # 1 ,, 9 is # 3 ,12 oclock is #4 ans 3 oclock is # 2 ... try reconnecting them like this and see what happens

Old 06-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Tisby
Unregistered

Okay, I believe that the firing order was the problem. However, now it is turning over and not starting at all. I pulled the plugs and they are competely blackened. I'm off to get a set of NGKs. There are two things that I am converned about though:

One, what is the order of the cylinders? Since the Haynes manual had the distributor cap order wrong, I'm concerned about this. Is the picture I did in my previous post correct?

There is a heavy odor of gasin the cylinders after I pulled the plugs, should I be concerned about this or just install the new plugs and try to start it again?

Old 06-04-2006, 04:00 PM

black as in carbon? or oil soaked?

Old 08-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Tisby
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

black as in carbon? or oil soaked?
Ahh... Sorry I haven't replyed to this, I think it'd be nice to post the resolution. Anyway, the plugs were black as in carbon covered. It turns out that the firing order was just completly out of wack. I had to Towed to Gary's Foreign Auto who took care of it for free! The lot of his shop is always full and half of the cars are early 90s accords, so I know they know what they are doing. The towing was free too becuase of AAA so it really wasn't all that bad. I still don't understand how the firing order was out of wack, but I'm glad we got it taken care of.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Tisby

I still don't understand how the firing order was out of wack, but I'm glad we got it taken care of.
It usually happens because someone put the plug wires on wrong. [sm=smiley17.gif]

Old 08-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Tisby
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

ORIGINAL: Tisby

I still don't understand how the firing order was out of wack, but I'm glad we got it taken care of.
It usually happens because someone put the plug wires on wrong. [sm=smiley17.gif]
Hmm... [sm=interesting.gif]