General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Belt or something squeaking after tune up

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Default Belt or something squeaking after tune up

2001 Accord EX, 5 speed, 213K.

Just had the timing belt/water pump replaced, dist, plugs, wires, yada yada.

Everything works fine, however, there is still a high pitch squeaking coming from the engine, sort of on the same side as the belts. I tried tightening the belts up a bit but still no luck getting rid of the noise. I only hear it while idling, I'm guessing it's still there while driving but obviously wouldn't be able to hear it. it doesn't get worse or speed up when I rev the engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I posted awhile ago about burning/losing oil. There are no leaks anywhere, no spots on driveway, nothing , nada, zip. I did have oil in the PCV Valve and replaced that and so far I haven't seen any other oil in it ,but still losing/burning oil somehow. Any thoughts?

Old 07-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Timing belt too tight?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:07 AM

Oil Problem:

213K miles on an engine wears things out. It’s not really a problem, more like a symptom or byproduct, of a high mileage engine. The most common reason for high mileage engines to burn oil is that the piston rings are worn out. It’s no big deal, its normal (on high mileage engines.) What you should watch for is noticeably blueish exhaust, that would mean you piston rings are SHOT you engine would be running rough because its not getting the compression it needs.
Do you beat on the car, drive it hard? Anything like that? I ask because that can cause the oil rings to wear out prematurely.
Also, is it VTEC? If so, VTEC systems are known to burn oil. (Normal)
My Accord has VTEC and it burns oil. So it’s nothing to be concerned about.

Squeaking:

The, timing belt wouldnt really make any squeaking noise, its normaly such a tight belt or chain that it wouldnt make any noise. Its probably one of your other belts. Just check the tension on them and if one is too loose it may be a bad tentioner or you may have to tension it yourself.

Hope I helped!
-Matt

Feel free to ask any more questions and Ill help anyone out. And I’m not afraid to say "I don’t know", I’d rather give someone the right answer then give them a line of BS.

Last edited by MattsMonkey; 07-02-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Was thinking of another thread.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:14 PM

"VTEC systems are known to burn oil. (Normal)"

That isn't true.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by MattsMonkey
Oil Problem:

Squeaking:

The, timing belt wouldnt really make any squeaking noise, its normaly such a tight belt or chain that it wouldnt make any noise. Its probably one of your other belts. Just check the tension on them and if one is too loose it may be a bad tentioner or you may have to tension it yourself.

Hope I helped!
-Matt

[
a too tight timing belt and or balancer would definitely make a noise ,,it is not like when the outer belts are loose it is more like a whirling noise.........

also could be a worn t-belt tensioner

Last edited by deserthonda; 07-03-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
"VTEC systems are known to burn oil. (Normal)"

That isn't true.
Yes.
I've had 5 cars with 4 different types of VTEC & none of them burned oil.
95 Integra GSR
98 Accord
03 Accord
2 different 07 Civics

Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Thanks guys, I'll check the belts again, they were kind of hard to move when I checked them last, i'll put a little more effort into it.

It is a Vtec, there is no blue smoke so it's not that, I don't drive it really hard, 90% of the miles were highway driving up until about a year ago when I got a new job closer to home, not it's only about 1000 miles a month vs the 2500 I was putting on it. just kinda of creepy with the oil gremlin stealing my stuff. But would rather have to put a little more oil in now and then instead of buying a new one.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:58 AM

Yes they do, it can be a miniscule amount to the point that you dont notice it or a little more then that. If your not measuring exactly how much oil comes out or seeing how far your car will go on one oil change, you wouldnt be able to tell that it does.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:41 AM

MattsMonkey:
That sounds a little like I am invisible as long as no one looks at me. Can you explain how Vtec consumes oil.

It is a disservice to get people to believe that Vtec Honda’s that burn oil is normal as instead of getting the problem corrected under warranty or documented under warranty they will just live with it. Not a good rumor to start.

Last edited by kris_loehr; 07-09-2010 at 09:53 PM.