General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Default 91 stalling

hi! new member here, srry that my first post is a problem heres the deal, my car starts and runs fine for about 20minutes, then it stalls. u have to let it sit for 5minutes or so, then it restarts, but runs for only 2minutes and stalls again. ive replaced the main relay,cap and rotor and plugs, nothing. it still does it. after it stalls, and u try to start it, the check engine light comes on and stays on and it wont start. u have to try again and again till the check engine light gos out then it starts. weird! thx for any help!!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When you turn keyswitch to On, listen carefully for fuel pump to come on in fuel tank (quiet conditions necessary), run for 2-3 secs, and go off. Check Engine Light (CEL) should go off w/ pump.

If pump is not running and CEL is staying On, Main Fuel Relay is likely fault despite your replacement.

When car stalls, does CEL, Alt, and Oil Pressure lights come on immediately?

good luck

Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM

yes they do. this is the second relay ive replaced. its a lifetime one from autozone. i just took it back wondering if that was it and they gave me a new one. but it didnt seem to help.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 PM

just a thought, i keep reading about bad ignition switches, any chance this sounds like that?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM

Well, you need to be a little more precise.

Are you hearing fuel pump come on each time keyswitch is turned to ON?

If yes, then I suspect fire is what's missing. Suggest trying to start w/ a large 5-10 sec spray of starter fluid or throttle body cleaner. If engine kicks off briefly, you know spark is good. If no-start continues, you know that spark is missing (likely).

Missing spark would be coil or ignitor. Check Honda Acura Starting Problems Repair Guide, Main Relay Locations
for guidance on checking for coil or ignitor. If you don't want to diagnose, start w/ coil.

good luck

Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 PM

thx so much TEX! thats a wealth of info right there! i folowed the trouble shooting section and it all leads to the main relay? weird, sinse its been replaced more than once. mabye a bad batch? anyway, thx again

Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 PM

update, i replaced the main relay, no difference. deffently not that. also, when i turn the key to run, the fuelpump comes on for a couple seconds like it should. so i ran the car for 20 minutes or so and sure enough it stalled. ttin in the sinse i was sittin in the driveway, when i got it started again, i revved it up to 4k and held it there and in a matter of mabye 10 seconds, the dash lights came on and she died. i mean like u left a room and turned off the light. no amount of throttle helped. the check engine light stays on. i searched alot in the archives and it looks like its the distributor. i took the cap off and there r wires that dont have insulation on them anymore. thoughts?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 PM

When no-start condition is shown, check for spark to spark plugs by grounding a plug to one lead and looking for spark. If no-spark confirmed, then a new distributor may be indicated.

If you have an external ignition coil (LX, DX), you may want to start w/ a new ignition coil rather than distributor.

good luck