General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91accord - what work can one do fairly easily?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Wildcat
Unregistered
Default 91accord - what work can one do fairly easily?

I have a 1991 Accord LX sedan, manual transmission, power windows & locks & steering, A/C and cruise control.

I had it inspected at a Goodyear two weeks ago to see what work it needs to have done. It's a pretty long list, and I'm wondering what people think could be done by myself (with help from my more mechanically inclined -- and tool equipped -- father), what I might be able to do with a lot of work, and what should definitely be done at a shop by pro mechanics. Any info anyone could give would be great!

Here's the list:

A. Flush and replace fluids for: Power Steering, Brake, Hydraulic Clutch, Coolant, Transmission.

B. Tune-Up: Basic, plus Cap Rotor and Wires Replaced, Carbon Clean, Motor Vac

C. Steering alignment, and Struts replaced.

D. Leaks: Valve Cover Gasket, Oil Pan Gasket, Transmission all leak

Overall, the mechanics at Goodyear said it was a good car, but the prices they quoted added up to quite a lot of moolah. An ex-neighbor of mine is a pro car mechanic and does work in his driveway on weekends for people, he usually only charges wholesale cost prices for parts and $25-$50/hour for labor.

I'd like to do as much as I can as possible before taking it to any mechanics.

Thanks for your time and insight!
Wildcat

Old 02-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 91accord - what work can one do fairly easily?

i would have checked by another shop,, especially the struts..these shops make a living trying to sell struts.....
Fluid replacement is ok ,, do not do p/s fluid.....not necessary...As for the othe stuff , it is hard to tell if you need them done or not ,without being there to chk it out..........

Again, take it to another shop and have them confirm what was told to you,, do not mention the fact of what you were told car needs..

Old 02-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 91accord - what work can one do fairly easily?

changing all your fluids is always a good idea and its just so easy why not? the power steering requires a special fluid remember that. you can do all the stuff on the list amazingly easily except for the alignment.....but dont tget hat done at goodyear! not a good place. and they are for sure saying that you need more stuff fixed than you really do. basically though, they are telling you to get a good tuneup, which you can do for under 200 bucks, and thats with the gaskets for the valve cover and spark plug seals too! **** that even includes the 15 dollar tube of honda bond that you will need.... good luck pm me with any specific questions you have i have a 91 ex 5spd.