General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord Blowing 15A fuse Taillights/Dash lights out

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:03 AM

no daytime running lights but I did some more digging and started removing and looking at all the bulbs even though they all work and I found water accumulating in my turn signal sections. The bulbs were corroded and rusty but the lights still worked fine. I dremmelled little drain holes to empty the water out and I cleaned up one but couldnt clean the other because the rust was so bad. none of the other lights are like this, only the blinkers, which is weird because when this fuse blows it only affects my running lights and dash lights, not the turn signals. Im calling Honda in the morning to see if they have another socket so I can replace that piece. I installed some extra weatherproofing around the lights. Im trying to sell the care, but I want this fixed first.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

I'd also check a parts store for the socket(s) or a local bone yard, this is more than likely the issue but I have to ask - Has anyone replaced the radio in the car. Do you remember anything special that happened just before this started.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:22 PM

replaced the rusted socket with a new one and still poppin the fuse!! Its weird, it wont pop the fuse while at idle, but about 20 seconds of driving will make it pop. The stereo is 3 years old and I do have an amp in the trunk, but its fine and there are no bare wires showing. Im just wondering if I should take it in to be fixed or sell it "as is" and take a hit on the price. I dont have the time or $$ to keep messin with this car. It runs great, cold ac, new clutch,timimg belt, battery, etc. Damn electrical problems!! Ive got it listed for 1500$ as is

Old 08-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, I'm still leaning towards the tail/brake lights as this has or seems to have nothing to do with the headlights being on, kind of a question there. Have you unpluged the tail/brake/backup lights all together (of course one side at a time) to see if that stops the fuse from blowing...and please, I do not want anyone driving around with brake lights not working so only do one side at a time and on small/less traveled roads and/or with someone following you.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:55 PM

Great idea!! But no luck I actually unplugged the main harness that runs all of the lighting in the trunk. Before I did that I slammed my trunk with a good fuse in and it popped at the exact time my trunk was slammed. My neighbor works with electrical auto stuff and is helping me isolate the problem. After I slammed the trunk and it blew, I put in a new fuse and now it pops the very second I turn the lights on where as before it could take a few seconds to as long as 15 minutes. It is still popping with the entire back end of lights disconnected. So now we will start checking around the console and stero/dash area. Now it really seems like a short.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

I just looked at the wiring diagram for that 91 I mentioned earlier. I am still not sure which wiring diagram matches your accord exactly.

It looks like part of the circuit may be protected by two other fuses in the fuse box under the dash. It is the auxiliary fuse that is circled in the pic I attached. It should have a 15amp fuse (let us know if it does). Also, #10 in the under dash fuse box protects one of the tail lights.

Remove the aux fuse and #10, replace #23 fuse with a new fuse. All of the lights that lose power should still have no power (protected by aux and #10 fuse). Start car, and check the #23 fuse. If it burned out, then something is up with the wiring between the engine bay fuse box and the dash fuse box.

Also, is there anything installed in your car that would have required modifying the wiring harness like and aftermarket radio/stereo, security system, etc?

Attached Thumbnails 92 Accord Blowing 15A fuse Taillights/Dash lights out-fuse-box.jpg  
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 AM

Im going out to check this now, but yes, the car does have an aftermarket stero that has been installed for almost 4 years. It does have an old alarm system that is still wired up under my dash by the foot pedals.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:52 AM

Mines doing the same thing and I can't figure it out. It seems there is a random black wire under my paddles that's hanging but it has no power to it along with a button to.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The 91 accord series goes to the 93 model so the wiring diagram is almost exactly the same. My 91 Accord came with running lights, why doesn't the 92? Anyways if you wiggle your lightswitch which is connected to the colum and get flickering lights, obviously one of the power supply wires is bad. The headlights run off the main power (Battery). Stereo compartment wiring is not related. The AC unit is also connected to the Condensor fan. If the fans not working niether will the AC. If you have difficulties finding information on the Accord look up the Prelude because that's where the info seems to be. Your two issues with the trunk area. I have a wing there and my dashboard lights say my trunk is open or somethings wrong with the lights. If your tail lights are at issue usually the fault lies in a $30 part located in the wiring between the brakelight and the arm that bolts to the trunk lid. Leaks in the trunk. This is usually odd. Water runs down the back window into a channel that leads right over the brake-lights and in. You should notice about a one centimeter seperation where the brake-light assembly meets up with the body ( on drivers side its to the right passengers side to the left) that's where mine seperated. I used silicone to fill it, smoothed it down with my finger, done. Well almost. That's where most of the water comes from and also causes corrosion in the light connections. It doesn't hurt to drill a couple of small holes to let out water underneath where the spare tire goes. I'm not sure where the other water is comming from, I think it's sliding under my seals at the corners.