General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 accord coolant leak, water pump swap today, what else to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 accord coolant leak, water pump swap today, what else to fix?

I have read numerous threads on here and have decided to replace a number of parts in an attempt to permanently fix my coolant leak.

It is dripping slowly from back edge of timing cover, NOT from the curved opening where oil drips (fixed crank seal 2 months ago, no more oil drips).

Parts:
Water pump and seal
Thermostat and seal
Thermostat to water pump pipe O-rings
Also doing rocker arm to head O-rings for oil leak @ spark plugs

I replaced the timing and balance belts about 2 months ago when I replaced crank shaft seal and balance shaft oil seal (with retainer clip), but didn't do water pump at that time because I am LAZY AND STUPID. Lesson learned. I replaced the head gasket about 40,000 miles ago. Vehicle has 310,000 miles now.

Questions:
Can I reuse timing and balance belts?
Can I reuse valve cover gaskets? (Replaced 2 months ago)
Are there any other possible causes of coolant leaks from rear driver side of engine? Ther coolant looks clean, flushed it 2 weeks ago. Oil looks good too.

Thanks so much for any help... this site has been a big help in the past on numerous repair jobs.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh yeah, just remembered this detail: about 6 months ago I added almost a full gallon of orange GM long life coolant. I finally flushed it a couple weeks ago and added green coolant... not sure if that can damage engine or not... maybe why water pump failed?

I can't tell if coolant is leaking fron weep hole or not

Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

If you were just there, re-using the belts and the valve cover gasket will be fine.

Just inspect the belts to be sure they are not soaked with coolant or oil.

The valve cover, just add a dab of silicone to each end (cam humps) of the gasket and you should be good....I've re-used valve cover gaskets on mine many time.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

How do I get the coolant pipe off the water pump housing???

I've already removed the thermostat housing, popped off the pipe with some effort. I also removed the bolt securing the pipe to the engine. The pipe is loose and moves around, just can't get it to pop off the water pump housing. I even tried channel locks (wrapped vinyl tape around teeth to protect pipe).

I'm thinking about just leaving the old seal... I might have replaced it when I did the head gasket a couple years ago. I determined coolant was leaking from weep hole, and I was never able to detect coolant leaking from that pipe.

I don't want to have to repeat this later, but I just can't get the pipe off. Any advice???

Old 09-11-2013, 05:27 PM

I have a similar task on a 1991 Accord EX 5 dr wagon. The pipe is showing rust degradation and looks like it's leaking at the nipple next to the water pump housing. I plan on replacing the entire pipe. Any special suggestions for getting it out of the housing? Looks to me from the drawings in the repair manual that it's a "force" fit into the housing?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 09-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

I think that the pipe seals with an o-ring. I would drain coolant, then remove the thermostat housing. Then unbolt the pipe (and brackets, if any). Then remove it from the side near the water pump.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

This crossover pipe seals at water pump housing and at the thermostat housing. I think you'll have to remove thermostat housing to be able to remove the pipe. There is also a central retaining bolt that nails the pipe to the underside of intake manifold. Two coolant lines branch off this pipe and must be released.

Nasty job!

good luck