General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 accord - distributor replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Pacmanpth
Unregistered
Default 92 accord - distributor replacement question

I just picked up a 92 accord very cheap that needs to have the distributor and ignition coil replaced. Is replacing the distributor as easy as unhooking the electrical harness, marking its orientation against the head, unbolting, and bolting back on the new one?

Old 08-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 92 accord - distributor replacement

Yep, its pretty much that simple.

Make sure to take of the cap and make sure that the rotor of the new distributor is pointing in the same direction as the old one, so you don't install it 180 degrees off on the camshaft.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

Yep, its pretty much that simple.

Make sure to take of the cap and make sure that the rotor of the new distributor is pointing in the same direction as the old one, so you don't install it 180 degrees off on the camshaft.
you cannot install distr 180 off on this one,, distr can only go in 1 way ,,
make sure you reset the timing after you replace the distributor

Old 08-27-2007, 08:49 AM

Don't you need to get theNo. 1 pistonto TDC before you remove the old distributor? PAhonda and deserthonda are both the experts here. I am just a lowly DIY'er who likes to get as much kowlege from these pro's as I can. I was just always under the impression that you had to place no. 1 piston at TDC before removing the old distributor.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:07 AM

nice pick up, how many miles on the engine?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

distributor cam is offset can only go in 1 way ,whatever position you take it out it can only go back the same way ,, cam is offset so are the 2 nipples at end of distr shaft

Old 08-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Pacmanpth
Unregistered

If it's anything like CAS systems, piston position shouldn't matter, as you just spin the cylinder until the grooves match up and then install. It's got 140k on the engine, runs good, body in good shape, just had an intermittent starting problem thats worsened to the point where I think it barely starts anymore. Shop the previous owners took it to said the distributer and ignition coil were the problem, although once I get it towed back here I'll have to do some testing to find out if both of those are indeed defective.

My previous experience in mechanic work was on a 300zx twin turbo that I pretty much completely tore down and put back together. We had direct coil ignition systems on the vg30 though, which is why I don't really know anything about distributers. So I know a decent amount I suppose, just need to learn a new platform now.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, the blade on the distributor shaft is offset, but I've heard of people that have forced it in backwards. All you have to do is look at it, and make a point to notice the offset blade & the slot that it fits. If it doesn't slide nicely into place, DO NOTuse the hammer from your toolbox.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:55 PM

BFH's work for removal sometimes but are not suggest for re-installation of most components.... if you've done a teardown before then this should be a common sense no brainer for you. This is an installation that requires more work to screw it up than it does to do it correctly....

Old 08-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Pacmanpth
Unregistered

haha, ok, sounds good, thanks for the help

Quick Reply: 92 accord - distributor replacement question