General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord EX F22A6 Water in the Oil and Vice Versa Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Default 92 Accord EX F22A6 Water in the Oil and Vice Versa Please Help

My Title says it all.

I am working on my mothers 92 AccordEX F22A6 and for some reason I can't get it right.

I installed a new head gasket after many hours of frustration and I still get Oil in the Coolant and vice Versa.

The head was serviced at a reputable engine machine shop and they shaved the head .005 and said the head was good.

After putting it all back together I get oil in the water and water in the oil. The Engine Runs good so far for the little bit of time I ran it to test it but then I noticed the oil in the radiator and water on the oil dipstick. So I pulled the spark plugs. The Plugs seem to be dry and clean thus far.

I'm wondering if the block is cracked or if there is another way for water and oil to mix on this 1992 HondaAccordEX 16v SOHC F22A6 Engine.

The only thing I could think of is if some how the Oil Cooler that sits on the block behind the oil Filter could be leaking water and oil into each other...

Please give me some solid sound advice. My mother needs her wheels back and I need to figure out the best way to fix the problem.

Thank you in advance.

Tony

Old 12-18-2011, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

If you are sure that you installed the cylinder head properly and go the the cylinder head bolts torqued properly, then I would assume that there is a crack somewhere. I can't think of anyway for the oil and coolant to mix.

Maybe other members will chime in with another theory.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:37 AM

thanks PAhonda,

Not what I want to hear but if that is the case then I'll do what I have to do :/

I do appreciate your input.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

You might want to do a compression and/or a leak down test to see if something is up with the engine.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:43 PM

I have never done a leak down test. What kind of tools are required for this? I have an air compressor.

Here is the compression as it is right now #4 = 180, #3 = 170, #2 = 165-170, #1 = 180

Last edited by Ineedhelp; 12-18-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

There is an ericthecarguy video on leak down tests.

When you had the cylinder head milled, did they do a pressure test to make sure it was sealing properly? What torque did you use on the cylinder head bolts?

Those compression test numbers look ok. Have you taken a look at the spark plugs on the cylinders to see what they look like?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:26 PM

The head was supose to have been pressure tested before they milled it down.

I torqued the head bolts to about 90lbs

the spark plugs looked dry and tan to dark in color.

I purchased & picked up a Cherry Picker last night for $75.00 just a few towns over from where I live because I'm getting ready to do a swop out if need be.

My plan of attack is gloing to be as follows.

1. make a leak down tester and do a leak down test.

2. If the leak down test makes me believe I have a problem w/the block then I proceed to pull the engine/trani for easier access and parts removeal once it's out of the car.

I plan to put the engine on my engine stand for a complete tear down before handing the block over the the machine shop for further analasis.

3. If shop tells me the block is indefinately bad then I proceed to find a new one at Pick N Pull or the likes.

4. Have Junk Yard purchased block tested at machine shop and reassemble if every thing checks out ok.

I'm aware by now that I will have to purchase a new head gasket and bolts before I reassemble the Engine.

5. Get the car running to my acceptable level of performance w/o any leaks and proceed to take Mr. Rip Off to court.

Can you think of any thing I left out or that you would do differently?

Last edited by Ineedhelp; 12-19-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:24 PM

I just got off the phone w/the guy at the Machine shop that presure tested and surfaced the head and this is what he told me.

It is very very rare that a honda block cracks. Corrosion will more likely be the culprit and or warpage between the block and Cylinder sleeves.

He told me he Did not have the proper tools to do the presure test on the block but he could look at it to tall me if there is any area on the block that may be suspicious of leaking.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:44 AM

Did you ever find the real problem? I know its been a decade, but Im having similar problem and wondering if the damn oil cooler is the culprit, allowing mixing of the oil and coolant there.