General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord EX keeps kicking belts, crankshaft pulley is loose...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Default 92 Accord EX keeps kicking belts, crankshaft pulley is loose...

My accord kicked both belts earlier this week. I went under the hood to investigate, see if I need to buy any new belts. Both are fine. Not chipped or anything.

So as I'm under there, I notice the crankshaft pulley has play in it. I go through the pain in the *** ordeal of putting both belts back on and tightening them up.

I start up the car, and immediately hear a louder noise on the left side of the engine. Look and see how the crankshaft pulley is moving so much that it kicks the belts off again, almost immediately.

I'm HOPING that the crankshaft pulley just needs tightened. I just don't see how to. I have about a half an inch of room between the side of the pulley and the wheel well. Do I have to remove the wheel just to get under there to the point where I can tighten the bolt? Or am I looking at a much bigger problem?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

I would not try to start or drive the car with a possible loose crank pulley bolt.

There should be a hold through the plastic cover to access the bolt. Use a deep 19mm socket. Its regular threaded so clockwise tightens the bolt. Taking off the front driver's side tire will give you the easiest access. You can turn the steering wheel as far to the left as possible to get enough room to tighten it.

If the bolt can be tightened, I would probably have a dealership tighten it down to spec with their crank pulley holding tool to ensure the pulley does not fall off.