General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Loose

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Default 2000 Accord Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Loose

question! Daughter was driving (2000 Honda Accord) heard a noise, all panel lights came on, she pulled over and was losing power. As she came to a stop, the engine died. Looked under the hood. Belt came off. In the morning, a friend put the belt on. Car has fire, but will not start. Husband got there and the bolt to the crankshaft was loose. Tightened it up. The pulley wobbles and car turns over but does not start. Any idea what happened? Getting a tow truck in the am, and trying to find a "bonafide mechanic" as I have been on the internet all night and it could be simple to devastating, but no one has mentioned the car not being able to restart. Timing belt broke?

Old 10-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I moved your post to a new thread for better attention. Read posting rules. New problem requires new thread.

Crankshaft pulley is connected to crankshaft by a key that insures engine/camshaft alignment for the timing belt which links the two drives. If bolt came loose, it is possible that engine timing was lost. If so, damage to the overhead valves in the head is likely.

Recommend no further attempts to crank and a tow to a competent mechanic.

good luck

Old 10-09-2014, 02:19 PM

My husband did attempt to start. Would not start, but the crankshaft pulley would turn and wobble. QUESTION: IF the crankshaft is busted, would it still turn? Currently in the shop and diagnosed w/ broken timing belt, all the valves are bent and they'll take the head off and see condition of head. HOPING for the best on that news for sure.

Thank you for helping out with placing this where it needed to be as I don't know how to get around on this forum.

Appreciate your info !!!!