General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord F22A1 timing????

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Default 92 Accord F22A1 timing????

Hey guys, new here..
Working on a 92 Accord (F22A1 engine) for a guy and just replaced the water pump. I've come to an impasse, though...got everything put back together and the car won't turn over, cranks like hell but will not start up. First thing I thought was a timing issue.

So...I ripped it back apart and checked, TDC'd the engine, and the crank pulley is right where it should be (word UP is directly up) and cylinder number 1's valves are closed. The distributor is also at cylinder number one position (marked as "A" on cap). Everything seems to be in time.. I can't figur eout what the hell the problem is...

I did have the power steering belt and the alt belt both pretty tight, and didn't try backing them off to see if it would start before I pulled everything apart again, would this cause the issue? Only other thing it could be is a fuel delivery problem, but the car started, albeit with a lot of effort, before I swapped the water pump.

Any advice???

Old 02-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

You understand that arrow on the cam sprocket is only approximate, right? The REAL timing marks are little dimples out at the teeth of that sprocket. Dimples line up along the top of the cylinder head; or along the top edge of the rear timingbelt shroud. The arrow is ONLY there to prevent it from being 180-degrees out. I've never seen a sprocket where the arrow is perfectly vertical.

Then we have the crankshaft... I was pretty sure the crankshaft TDC mark for 1992 is on the flywheel, not on the front pulley.

Forget to replace any fuses that you may have pulled during the work? Plug everything back in? Battery cables good & clean & tight?

Does the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when you turn the key to ON?

Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM

yeah, cant decide now which mark on the flywheel is TDC, there is a long one and a short one, with a mark for 15 degrees above. is it the long mark or the shorter one? and the fuel pump primes when you turn the key to on, no electrical connections were undone, not even at the battery because the guy drove screws between the ring and the post of the neg term to get it tight. all fuses appear to be good. thinking again that its timing. just need to be sure where TDC is, then i will rotate the cam sprocket to match. correct?

Old 02-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yup. You can pull the #1 sparkplug & put a dowell in there. That'll probably tell you which mark is TDC & which is 15-BTDC.

The engine spins clockwise when viewed from the flywheel end, so when you're standing at the front bumper, the TDC mark is above the other one.

Another way to look at it...
Standing at the front bumper, the flywheel moves downwards so the 15-BTDC mark will move down out of the opening, & the real TDC mark will appear at the top.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 PM

alright. got it put back together with the 'dimples' on the cam sprocket lined up with the top of the head, the flywheel indicating tdc, and the dist. striking cylinder 1.

listened again, and the fuel pump is not priming. and I cannot for the life of me find the fuse for it. Also, now the beep alarm goes off when i put the key in the ignition, but as soon as i turn it to the on position i lose all power, like there is a short somewhere. I did manage to arc my socket wrench when I was reconnecting the starter hot wire, but cant find a single blown fuse.

If it were my car, I would feel inclined to give up at this point, but this job is earning my one of my junk cars being towed to the scrap yard for some cash, so I need to finish. Not to mention that it is not my car.

Just wish I knew someone locally who knew the ins and outs of this motor, to look at it in person.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:11 PM

re read your earlier posta bout TDC marks, and I timed the engine using the one below the 15 degree mark, or the one further around in a clockwise direction. e.g. when i was turning the flywheel clockwise this particular mark showed up prior to the 15 deg BTDC mark. Does this mean that I just timed the motor 30 degress below TDC? it is the same distance from the 15 deg mark, only below it not above it. ****

Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't think there was another mark at 30-deg??? So now I'm just confused. Hope someone will chime in who actually remembers exactly what the flywheel marks look like.

Check out the DIY board for a thread about on-line manuals. Get one for '92-ish & look at the timing marks in the section about changing the timing belt.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:05 AM

sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake just now, and it tried like hell to turn over. It is def out of time, hope i didnt bend any valves. but I figured out that its a fuel issue. Since I've ruled out that the mark beyond the '15' is not correct time, I will reset it to the mark on the flywheel above the 15 and get it back together and focus on the fact that I'm receiving no fuel. Like i said though, fuel pump does not priime, but the car ran before I took it apart. Main relay???? No blown fuses, the ones I can see through anyway. Where the hell is the main relay? and should I change it?

Edit.. the mark on the balancer belt sprocket(the one directly behind the crank pulley) was lined up perfectly with the timing mark on the lower timing cover when I used the mystery "30 degree" mark on the flywheel, meaning that it may be correct

**** IT, I will just use the goddamn dowel method to TDC the bastard. This job turned from a 3 hour pump swap to an 11 day saga of trying to get the bitch to start again only to be making about a hundred bucks off the job. SOOO TIRED of this car!!

Any help on the fuel delivery issue would be greatly appreciated so that I can move on to the next job.

Last edited by podaddy; 02-08-2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: remembered something
Old 02-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

That mark on the crank sprocket lines up with a mark on the front of the (aluminum) oilpump. In order to see those marks, the lower timing cover (black plastic) has to be removed. Is that what you meant? If so, THOSE are probably the most reliable timing mark for TDC.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a writeup about a 92 TB job.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ead.php?t=3977

Also, what parts did you remove to do the TB job?

Quick Reply: 92 Accord F22A1 timing????