General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord jumping RPM issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Default 92 Accord jumping RPM issue

I have no idea what would cause this. i have a couple ideas but i wanted to post here to see if i can get some ideas.

driving down the road at a steady speed the rpm jumps up and down about 200-300rpms. it also boggs on acceleration. oil is leaking into my distributor all over the ignitor and have oil in two spark plug holes. O2 sensor is unplugged. any and every suggestion would be helpful. thank you all in advance.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

I would fix the obvious problems.

Oil in the spark plug tubes can be from the upper seals in the timing belt cover and/or the lower seals that require a bit more work to replace. Get the oil out of the spark plug tubes and this may help out your miss.

Oil inside the distributor means that the grommet in the distributor is bad. That part can be replaced, but it is a bit of work. It would be easier to replace the distributor or distributor housing.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:39 AM

thanks PAhonda (wish i had a torque wrench to do lower tube seals)

Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I'm pretty sure the EX engine does not have the lower seals to replace, only the easily access seals between spark plug tube and valve cover.

Repairing the distributor is not worth the effort when you consider that it is easy to damage the seal and wind up w/ worse leak. A rebuilt distributor can be had for ~ $100 w/ all new parts. This may cure the rpm oscillation, depending on whether the rpm problem is real (rpm actually changing) or just an electrical issue.

good luck

Old 12-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

1992 EX has both upper and lower seals. It was later (1998?) when the lower seals were eliminated.

Misfiring from oily spark plugs might explain a lot of that behavior. Like PA says, fix the obvious stuff first & there's a good chance it'll help.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I'm pretty sure the EX engine does not have the lower seals to replace, only the easily access seals between spark plug tube and valve cover.

Repairing the distributor is not worth the effort when you consider that it is easy to damage the seal and wind up w/ worse leak. A rebuilt distributor can be had for ~ $100 w/ all new parts. This may cure the rpm oscillation, depending on whether the rpm problem is real (rpm actually changing) or just an electrical issue.

good luck
last time i replace the valve cover and upper tube seals i still had oil in my spark plug holes so i have to have lower seals too.

what if i just got one from the JY? or should i just try to find one that's rebuilt? the only ones i have seen in my area were $150 and up (and i have searched)

Originally Posted by JimBlake
1992 EX has both upper and lower seals. It was later (1998?) when the lower seals were eliminated.

Misfiring from oily spark plugs might explain a lot of that behavior. Like PA says, fix the obvious stuff first & there's a good chance it'll help.
thanks for the info JimBlake once i am able to get these things done (which i hope can be soon) i'll post back if it solved my problem or not.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check ebay for distributor.

good luck

Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Check ebay for distributor.

good luck
thanks will do, hope i can find a good quality distributor for a reasonable price (but i doubt it)

Old 12-16-2011, 08:45 AM

sorry to bring up an old help thread. my mom wanted me to see if this problem could possibly be the transmission. i told her that you guys couldn't give us any further information until we fixed what we KNOW is wrong but i just wanted to ask anyway if there was even the slight possibility that it could be the transmission. thanks in advance. (by the way got the valve cover gasket and waiting to find out who i can borrow a toque wrench from to do lower seals. even though it's advised against i'm still going to get a dizzy from the junk yard maybe today)

EDIT: i got a couple videos of what my rpms do (if you want to see them)

Last edited by Honda_Lady; 12-16-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Is the transmission changing gears when the car bogs down?

Quick Reply: 92 Accord jumping RPM issue