General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord jumping RPM issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

You aren't getting any codes for the distributor, so I wouldn't replace it unless it is making a screeching noise, or if it has oil inside.

1, 41, and 43 are all for the O2 sensor. Check the connection and wiring for the O2 sensor.

7 is for the throttle position sensor.

12 is for the EGR valve.

Check your electrical connectors for the TPS and the EGR valve before replacing.

You may also want to clean out the EGR ports on the intake manifold. See the link in the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by cutlass327
Did you plug the O2 sensor in? That would affect performance, too.

Is the A/C on? I know when my A/C kicks on, you can feel the loss of power. Drove my GF nuts til I explained to her it was normal, so now she ignores it.
i need to clean the oil out of the connector and get some of that goo that goes into connections to try and keep oil from getting into it again.

my a/c stopped working 3 years ago so that's not going to cause any additional problems.

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You aren't getting any codes for the distributor, so I wouldn't replace it unless it is making a screeching noise, or if it has oil inside.

1, 41, and 43 are all for the O2 sensor. Check the connection and wiring for the O2 sensor.

7 is for the throttle position sensor.

12 is for the EGR valve.

Check your electrical connectors for the TPS and the EGR valve before replacing.

You may also want to clean out the EGR ports on the intake manifold. See the link in the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum.
"or if it has oil inside."
^this is my problem with the dizzy. oil is flowing through the dizzy all over the electrical components in there.

"1, 41, and 43 are all for the O2 sensor. Check the connection and wiring for the O2 sensor."
^the o2 sensor is unplugged because i have oil in the connector and it slightly improved the way it ran temporarily (until the oil in the dizzy got worse) it's such a pain in the *** to get to the damn thing.

thank you for the other tips as well i will definitely give those other things a shot.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Have you check for any codes? I had a TPS sensor go bad and caused the RPM's to go up and down like crazy.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 PM

i already posted my codes and besides the TPS is new but i will check the wiring.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:26 PM

I had similar issues... Go to Junkyard.. rebuild "dizzy" for cheap, stop oil leak... Then drive and check..

I have oil in each spark plug boot.. runs great still..

Get can of electric parts cleaner.. clean tos, and all other sensors and connectors u can.. also plug the o2 back in... That should all help!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:46 AM

replace valve cover gasket (including lower tube seals)- CHECK
replace distributor with re-maned- CHECK

problem still there. is there anything else i can do to fix this problem? please any other advice would be great. thanks in advance. when the engine boggs down i have to take my foot off the gas pedal and back on in order to get it to keep moving. would it maybe be the torque converter?!? God i hope not!! anyway any advice would be great thanks guys.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Clean the o2 sensor and get it back in...

And replace the fuel filter... would be my next step

Clean the other connectors if u haven't already, TPS, EGR etc...

Check out (cb7tuner.com) .. specialize in just 90-93 hondas.. click search, type in "boggs down" there are 3 pages of threads just on this vehicle

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Did the those two fixes take car of the oil leaks?

I would clear the codes by pulling the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box, then recheck the codes after your check engine light turns back on.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dannyboi40
Clean the o2 sensor and get it back in...

And replace the fuel filter... would be my next step

Clean the other connectors if u haven't already, TPS, EGR etc...

Check out (cb7tuner.com) .. specialize in just 90-93 hondas.. click search, type in "boggs down" there are 3 pages of threads just on this vehicle
ok thanks. what is the stuff called that goes into electrical connectors to keep fluids and other gunk out of them. that is probably what i need to with the o2 connector.

fuel filter was just replaced a couple months ago as well as TPS so when i had it off i check it. i also check the EGR connector a couple months ago when i had it off to clean it.

i also have posted a thread of my own with my symptoms on CB7Tuner.com (no one has responded back about having fixed the oil leaks and problem still exists) thank you for the tips.

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Did the those two fixes take care of the oil leaks?

I would clear the codes by pulling the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box, then recheck the codes after your check engine light turns back on.
yes those two fixes fixed the oil leaks.

ok i'll reset the codes and see what i come up with again. thanks PAhonda

Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Honda_Lady
ok thanks. what is the stuff called that goes into electrical connectors to keep fluids and other gunk out of them. that is probably what i need to with the o2 connector.

fuel filter was just replaced a couple months ago as well as TPS so when i had it off i check it. i also check the EGR connector a couple months ago when i had it off to clean it.

i also have posted a thread of my own with my symptoms on CB7Tuner.com (no one has responded back about having fixed the oil leaks and problem still exists) thank you for the tips.
The stuff I think its called di-electric grease..

And the most the dudes on cb7tuner are dicks.. however if u use the search function you can find the same issue you are having, and like 100 different outcomes... Read what they have done and try the things that you have not tried yet.. I guarantee one of those threads will lead you to your problem, always the last thing u check

Quick Reply: 92 Accord jumping RPM issue