General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 accord LX problems

Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Question 92 accord LX problems

My 92 has new belts, when i start it cold in the morning i hear a terrible screaching noise like a belt slipping, i tried listeneing with a steathascope but unable to locate the noise , i tightened the belts but made no difference, i need help to isolate this problem, everything works good on this car other than that. this noise scares me as it is really loud , not a good sound, i thoght maybe it was coming from the timing belt or bal belt but ive ruled that out because it don,t sound like its coming from under the cover , besides it runs great and does not vibrate at all . im at a loss
Frank Allen 92 accord LX

Old 03-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Check the crankshaft pulley. It's outer part is separated from its hub by a layer of rubber for vibration. This may be where it's slipping?

Take off the wheel & go in thru the fender opening. I don't know if it'll help to remove the inner fender liner. Use a marker or maybe some white paint to mark a line all the way from the bolt across the front face to the outer part.

Wait a couple days of starting, stopping, & driving. Then check your line to see if it has moved.