General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord power steering acting up. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 Accord power steering acting up. Help?

Ok guys you've already been a big help on other subjects dealing with my Accord so I'm looking for a little more help and insight into my situation. I have a 92 Accord EX and the power steering has been acting weird.. I don't believe it's the rack and pinion but I could be wrong. My steering gets stiff at times and I'll take a turn and out of nowhere its like power steering kicks in briefly then goes back to stiff again. Then there's times where I'll park my car and the steering wheel will actually turn on its own slowly it kinda stutters I guess you could say.. It's weird and hard to explain. I'm not getting any squealing or any noise it just feels like the power steering is out of whack. Could this be maybe air in the pump or the pump just acting up? I've heard these have screen filters inside the reservoir maybe clogged? Sorry about all the questions I'm just wondering what I should look for this is driving me crazy lol.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Is the fluid level at full? Has the level changed?

Take a look at the fluid while turning the steering wheel with the engine running. Do you see air bubbles in the fluid? You may have to take the cap off and use a flashlight to see. Be aware of the belts while the engine is running. You don't want to get hurt while doing some testing.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'll have to try that. Thanks man.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

And yes its full no leaks or anything.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:53 AM

Try putting the car up on jack stands, leave the car off and using only one or two fingers turn the steering wheel from lock to lock position. It should be smooth from lock to lock and back again. Keep doing it and feel if there is a point where it seems to catch or get tight, thus indicating the rack is bad. The other options is there is an internal seal failure. Either way the roads seem to lead to an issue with the rack.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

That is actually the one thing I have done and everything is smooth there which is why I'm confused but I don't know much about power steering. It's never a consistent point where this happens it is random..

Old 08-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Just me and I don't want to get things off track......are you using Honda/Acura appoved PS fluid?

IMHO, if you are not using Honda/Acura appoved PS fluid the system will act up. Not long ago I had a rack blow an end seal - fluid every where. I had it towed to a shop to have the rack replaced....at my age I pick my battles....my time, how bad and how long am I going to hurt after X vs the cost of paying.

Anyway a day or two later. I take my son - his car - and pick up the car. I get the "hey dad, I need gas and I'm light on funds" story after paying for the repair. At the gas station he tells me the car has "hard spots" in the steering. I crank the car up and turn the wheel side to side and sure enough I feel it. He is in school for the next few days so I tell him to drive it, be careful, and bring the car home the following weekend.

I flushed the PS system using Honda/Acura approved fluid - my thought from the start was they used the wrong fluid, ATF will not work in these - bam the steering was back to what a honda accord should be...no hard spots and nice. The car ran another ~2 years without PS issues......someone ran into the back of it and did so much damage the car went to the big bone yard in the sky. So the boy got upgraded from an 87 LX 5 speed 4 dr to an 89 LXi 5 speed coupe

Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I honestly don't know what is in it as I I've only owned the car for about a month but its worth a try at least. Thank you.