General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 accord power steering help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 accord power steering help needed

Hello,

I just replaced the seal on my power steering pump and reinstalled it. The steering takes tremendous effort to turn. I have disassembled the pump and found nothing wrong, it spins easily no noise etc. I have also cleaned the reservoir and put in fresh Honda fluid.

All help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Adam

Old 12-22-2015, 03:15 PM

Have you raised the front of the car and with the car running turned the steering wheel fron lock to lock positions to bleed it? If not try that as that is how the system is best bled, but, if the system is bled, with the front end of the ground you should be able to turn the steering with little effort (engine off). If it seems to hang up at some point and needs more then just a finger or two pushing on the wheel to turn it, it might be that the rack is bent due to some sort of damage (swiped a crub or some type of side impact on the front end).

Old 12-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Did you use power steering fluid specific for Hondas?

Old 12-22-2015, 08:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I had the front end up and turned the wheel lock to lock quite a few times, much easier to turn with wheels off ground.

Other than the leak there was nothing wrong with the steering before I pulled the pump so I don't think it's a mechanical problem.

Yes I used fluid specifically for Honda.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Bump.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest finding a used pump and replacing. Less work and likely quicker fix.

If you are determined to fix the pump you have, then check out ericthecarguy's video on Honda PS pump rebuild.

good luck

Old 01-18-2016, 08:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

That is a different pump than what I have. Based on the design of mine I think the only way for it to fail would be seizing or a clog. It's not seized, barely any noticeable wear inside and I've cleaned all parts and passageways.

The internals are large, heavy duty pieces.

Thanks
Adam

Old 01-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Are you getting air bubbles coming through the power steering reservoir?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It had been foaming which is why I changed the seals. I'll have to check to see if I get any now.

Does anyone know how to test the speed sensor? That's about the only thing left that I can think of.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Did the new seals fix the foaming? When you cleaned the reservoir, what about the fine mesh screen that's normally submerged in fluid?

Finally, check the suction hose from the reservoir to the inlet of the pump. Degradation of that hose might be a way for air bubbles to get sucked in.

Quick Reply: 92 accord power steering help needed