General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 accord suspension/steering issue...Cant figure it out.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Default 92 accord suspension/steering issue...Cant figure it out.

I have a 1992 accord with just over 350,000 miles on it. Runs perfect and I have put little into it in the last 80,000 miles except for this pesky suspension/steering issue. So about 2 years ago I started to notice the steering wheel vibrating when under braking. As another year went by it got progressivly worse until it was dangerous. Thinking that the car couldnt last much longer I prolonged putting money into it. So about a year ago I put new upper control arms, new upper and lower ball joints, new (outer) tie rod ends, new wheel bearings, and new brake disks on the car. The shimmy almost went away completely. But still could slightly feel it. Progress till now...
It has gotten progressivly worse again and im left standing here wondering if im going to put more money in this thing. But I cant help it, it just keeps going.

Now it has started squeeling...LOUD. When the car is sitting and running when you turn the wheel there is a very loud squeel from the front end of the car. It can be felt in the steering wheel and floorboards...sitting still. when the car is rolling down the road the constant chirps and squeels are almost continuous even when driving straight on an almost smooth road. When I hit a bump while steering to the right, A rattle can be heard like somethings loose. When I take the wheels off the car, everything seems tight and new.

Possible inner tie rod end? I dont get it.
Any help appreciated.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:17 AM

On second thought, when I installed the new ball joints without greasing them. This sounds to me like a ball joint issue. After searching online I have found that some come not greased. I will pull the joints this weekend and grease them. See if that helps. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

First I am impressed with how many miles you have, sounds like you take good care of your car.

Second, suspension squeaks are sometimes hard to find. Many of the times the noise comes from the swaybar bushings, have you checked them, they are cheap and easy to replace.

I am talking about the ones that go from the end of the swaybars to the control arms.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Skithis
this pesky suspension/steering issue. So about 2 years ago I started to notice the steering wheel vibrating when under braking.

Progress till now...
It has gotten progressivly worse again ...

Now it has started squeeling...LOUD.
A & B = sounds like common warped brake rotors to me, nothing more. resurface them. same thing on my '93 (14" wheels).

C = check your brake pads,, many makes are designed to squeal when the pads are worn out as a safety notification.

A, B, C = brake issue due to normal wear tear. bet you drive around a city and use brakes normal.