General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cant Figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Cant Figure it out

Ok so I'm stumped on this one. My uncle owns a 1990 Honda Accord which has always been a great reliable little car that has never had engine problems. About a week ago though he was driving to the store and when he parked the car remembered he forgot something so tried starting it back up but the motor just kept turning over and took awhile to start. After this it was fine until yesterday. It was running great all day to the airport and back, but a few hours later we were backing out of the driveway and it was idling really rough. When he popped it out of reverse the motor died before he could even get it into drive, and then proceeded to turn over but not start at all. I pushed it back into the driveway and started checking things out. All four cylinders have spark, the fuel pump is working just fine and gas is getting to the injectors, I cleaned all the contacts inside the distributor, and the timing belt is cherry as well. I even tried spraying starting fluid into the intake and it doesn't even try to start, but there is a spark!?! I'm baffled. I've torn into everything I can think of and it all seems to check out. Any ideas as to the problem?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:11 PM

jump the two pin connector under the glove box with a paperclip to see if there are any stored codes.

let us know if there are any and what they are. the codes are in the DIY forum under OBD1 CEL codes

Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

How did you check for spark? Did you try putting a timing light on each spark plug wire to see if enough spark is generated to flash the timing light?