General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'92 EX Missfireing at highway speeds !?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default '92 EX Missfireing at highway speeds !?

Hi all ,just joined this passed week with my new old Accord . I got it on the road figuiring I'd run it for a bit and get the feel of what it may need . I have gotten a skipping type missfire two days in a row at highway speeds . I stopped at Autozone and picked up some new plugs I set them at .041 gap . Upon pulling the plugs I found them to be covered in oil (hopefully the cause of the missfire ) wires ,boots and cap all look good . How hard is it to change the valve cover gasket ,and will this stop the oil issue . Also bled the brakes with the one man bleed kit from auto zone worked real good got the right rear then left rear then right front ,the left front is froze up and will be addressed on Saturday morning . Also found upon raising the vehicle to have both front coil springs broken at the lower end specifically the flat coil and a 1/4 curl . How hard are they to chang and should I change the struts also ?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Valve cover gasket is easy to replace. However some Accord engines, not sure when, have intermediate orings beneath the rocker assys. These are a bit more difficult to replace. You need a shop manual for your car. Check Online Manuals post in DIY forum for a download manual.

coil springs are not too bad but you'll need a spring compressor to do the job.

good luck

Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Got the valve cover gasket changed last night, and you were right it was a breeze still need to pick up a pair of springs for the front and replace a bleeder screw on the left front caliper. Yesterday on the way to work I got a squealing like water pump, so I drove the truck. I'll ne trying to change that this morning.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you should change the timing belt and tensioners at the same time you replace the water pump.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Be sure it is not just a worn acc belt to the alt or ps.

For the springs, I'd look into getting "loaded" struts (strut, spring and mount).

Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Unhappy Well !?

I changed the oil, new plugs, wires and cap are good new belts pcv valve cover and spark plug gaskets fuel filter will be a pita for a later day didn't change the water pump. Then I went to take my nephew home and it skips spits and sputters at about 60mph. in 4th and 5th gear wth !

Old 04-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

What rpm range will the car sputter?

Old 04-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It seams to be starting at around 2500-2700 rpms at about 18 miles of driving. How much of a pita is it to change the timing belt and adjust the idle? Once sitting it seams to idle fine, but pulling up to the light it feels like it wants to die but it doesn't and shortly after the sputtering starts the check engine light comes on

Old 04-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

EGR system can produce missing when excessive EG is routed to one-two cylinders because remaining EG ports are blocked. I believe there is info in DIY forum on EGR system cleaning.

good luck

Old 04-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

That is the kind knowledge I'm looking for, I'll have to look into the dig when I get home this phone is dying. I've considered running some dry gas through it thinking maybe it got some condensation from sitting since February. Have you heard of running a few ounces of acetone with gasoline to keep the additives in colloidal suspension?

Quick Reply: '92 EX Missfireing at highway speeds !?