General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 EX won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Lil_Stu07
Unregistered
Default RE: 92 EX won't start

Alright, once I get a chance, I'll test that, thanks for the insight.

Well, I was told by a mechanic that my lights went out due to a bad alternator.

I've had my car jumped on several occasions, but I think I'm gonna buy a new battery, seeing as I don't have a battery charger, nor do I really have much time to take it to get charged, plus I have a feeling the battery is very old, along with everything else on the car.

Idk tho, it might be a ground issue as well because I had to replace my battery terminal cuz the one that WAS on it was melted/welded together so I could not tighten or loosen the terminal and it was welded loose so the little metal piece that holds the battery down was rigged to hold the terminal down.

The new terminal was hard to get on cuz the cables were so thick, but I got it on tightly. I might have to replace the positive side as well.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If the car cranked a bunch of times before, then the battery is ok, for now. I'm thinking the igniter is the problem here since you fixed the oil leakage issue and all the other spark components. The ignition switch is a definate possibility also and it's a pretty easy test as described above. Good luck and post back any updates!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 AM

I agree. Sounds like an ignition switch,coil, or igniter to me. Test the wire as PAHonda suggested. Or you could go to a junkyard and replace the whole distributor assembly(if your car has an internal coil.) Didn't some 92 models have internal coils andothers had external coils?

Old 12-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

first off . make sure that the battery if fully charged , or replace it if battery is no good,,
also have you checked to make sure that the t-belt is ok ??
there is a How to chk for ign or coil issue in our DIY section , chk it out ,,
And on a final note ,,do not replace parts till you properly DIAGNOSE the problem

Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 AM

I too say you should diagnose first. I just suggested a junkyard dizzy since you may be able to get one for dirt cheap.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

You should still do the test for voltage at the distributor, because that will be a definitie sign of an ignition switch problem.

You mentioned that the lights died out on the car and it cranked slowly when you tried to start it. I would get the battery checked out to make sure it is ok. Also check all ends of the battery cables for corrosion and clean each end. Look at the ground on the radiator support, + temrminal at the engine fuse box.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Lil_Stu07
Unregistered

Alright, thanx for all the good insight. On my next day off, I'll definitely test the voltage at the distributor and I'm gonna have Advance Auto test my whole electrical since they do it free too. I'll post updates as soon as I test stuff.

Thanx a bundle.