General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 LX A/C Condensation Overflow

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Default 92 LX A/C Condensation Overflow

The A/C evaporator drain line is partially blocked causing the condensation to overflow onto the passenger side floor. It still drains but there must be some kind of restriction because it spills out. I tried to snake a soft wire thru the overflow tube but was unsuccesful in removing the block. Ithenremoved the blower motor to look into the evaporator case andI cannot see the drain hole. It is blocked by the evaporator core and there is no way I can snake something thru the drain hose. Are there chemicals that I can use to desolve the crud or whatever it is that is blocking the drain or do I have to evacuate and remove the evaporator?

Old 04-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 92 LX A/C Condensation Overflow

to properly fix it and make it last, you need to remove the evap and clean it all out,, But as a temporary fix,, you need compressed air to blow into the drain tube ( leave tube hooked up to evap of course ,), this will move thing around and free up the drain hole ...could last a long time as well..

Old 04-28-2007, 04:36 AM

Thanks Desert Honda thats what I was going to do this weekend.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:16 PM

I finally decided to take out the evaporator and clean out the whole chill box. I decided to replace the evaporatorat the same time since I have to evacuate, vacuum andrecharge the system. Looking around inside I could find nothing really blocking the drain opening so I replaced the evaporator, o rings, dryer unit pulled deep vacuum and recharged with R12 refrigerent. The A/C worked real fine and was much colder than before. Drove the car for about 5 miles and then the same thing happened condensation dripping on the carpet.
Looking around under the dash I saw what appeared to be 2 little raised bumps in the evaporator case where water would drip if the bottom of the case was flexed upward. Further examination showed that apparently something was inserted at these 2 points. There was a wiring harness from the radio hanging nearbyand I could see a faint outline ofsome sort of a bracket possibly held with 2 screws? Anyway I felt really dumb for not checking this out earlier. The old saying "Look before you leap" holds true.It would leak only when I made a sharp right turn and a quick examination showed the bottom of the evap case damp which led me to believe that the drain was clogged.A little dab of silicone stopped the leak completely and I could have fixed this in less than 5 minutes. The good news is that the last owner probably had the system charged with r134 and it definitly runs much cooler now with the r12.