General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie - Headlight Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:56 PM
acs4ny
Unregistered
Default Newbie - Headlight Condensation

Hey All,

Have only posted once before, so am still pretty new. Anyways, I've got an 02 accord coupe that I absolutely love. I recently replaced the blub in the driverside headlight with a sylvania silverstar and it looks great. Only problem is that there's now condensation buildup inside that headlight only. I checked to make sure all was tight but couldn't find a leak anywhere. Only thing I could posisbly think of was the thread on the silverstar used to twist into the headlight was a bit shaved off on one corner -> but didn't look like enough for air/water to pass through. Looked through some previous posts/FAQ's but couldn't come up with a resolution, any ideas where to check? hate to buy another $30 bulb but will i have to, or can't figure it out Thanks....

Old 12-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Newbie - Headlight Condensation

New bulb won't fix it. You have to remove the moisture from the housing.

The bulb should have an O-ring or something like that for a seal. The threads themselves don't need to be airtight.

It's a pain to remove the headlamp assembly from the car. But that makes it easier to dry out the housing. There should be a small vent somewhere, but where the lens attaches to the rest of the housing should be watertight. Maybe you could trysome caulking around that area??

Old 12-19-2006, 06:53 AM

is the head light dot and sae approved. maybe it was changed during an accident for example and did not have the certificates. that's a common problem with aftermarket head lights.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:04 PM

I took a rock to my left light and it has a small crack in it...i think thats where my condensation is coming from anway. Maybe a junkyard trip is in my future...

Old 12-19-2006, 03:00 PM

There are lots of headlights on e-bay that are dot/sae approved for fairly cheap... I'd say less than $100.00 you can get two aftermarket headlamps.... The crack may very well allow the condensation to occur