General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Accord Electrical Power Shorts on Startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 07:54 AM
Default 93 Accord Electrical Power Shorts on Startup

I have searched the Internet and have not found symptoms quite like mine. I'm sure I simply haven't been able to describe it well enough in short form search boxes, but here goes...

I recently bought a '93 Accord in rough shape with 234K on it. I'm upgrading things as I go, but last week the electrical power died on startup like a fuse was blown. The negative battery cable was obviously shot (three inches of insulation gone and the exposed wire was green spaghetti,) so I replaced it.

Ever since then the car either starts up fine (great motor and tranny,) or the electrical power completely cuts out when I turn the key. So far the fix is to remove the positive battery cable and put it back on. This seems to reset something and I'm able to start the car. And the car runs flawlessly once it's started.

The battery tests out at 12.46 volts, I can see no obvious signs of blown fuses or relays under the hood—I don't know a whole lot about Hondas so I may not have seen all the possible fuse/relay options.

I have seen posts about the Main Relay, but the total loss of electrical doesn't seem to fit the common symptoms.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-31-2013, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a battery cable connection issue. You replaced the neg cable so it should be clean and tight.

I would inspect the pos cable to be sure it is the same.