General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 accord ex coupe...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Default 93 accord ex coupe...

Here's one for you, the car runs fine, has nice get up and go, no hesitation, no lag..............but getting it started is the issue......

I had a bad starter, explain this to me, i took out starter, took it to AZ and they tested it fine, i then put it back in and still no turn, so i towed it in. They called 2 hours later, bad starter, $180, so i said go for it, when i picked up car, sure enough it was a new starter, so drove it home....the starter started chirping from the first day, i just haven't had time to take back, it's getting worse, so it's covered under warranty, just got to get time to get down there. another issue, is a hard start, that's why i say car runs fine, just a hard start. when it does finally turn over, it's like choking, I've just noticed white smoke, but not all the time. It smells like 'rich' fuel....i only get white smoke, when i park it for 15 mins, than jump in and go, like i said, i have to give it gas to get it started....soooo, IACV? EGR Valve? maybe bad gas? air filter??? any ideas? like i said, white smoke is once in a blue moon, and it just smells like rich burn.... thanks for the help..

Old 07-09-2014, 01:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by aloha_bruddah
...and still no turn, so i towed it in.

They
called 2 hours later, bad starter, $180, so i said go for it, when i picked up car, sure enough it was a new starter, so drove it home...

the starter started chirping from the first day, i just haven't had time to take back, it's getting worse, ...
Towed it in where? The Honda Dealer, or AutoZone? Who is they, and have you had prior service experience with them?
Car forums deal in details and work best when people provide specific info.

Remember: don't try to solve warranty problems - take it back. If you work on it yourself,
that will likely void your warranty. And then you'll get to repair it all over again.
Have you called them (whoever them is) to document the unsatisfactory repair?
What did they say? And if you haven't called them, yet, do that now.

Best ...

Old 07-10-2014, 01:48 AM

I had the car towed to my mechanics shop...i've had major stuff done there, he's trustworthy... i'm going to take it back....just haven't had the time.... it's a warranty repair he'll take care of it, I just want to know if the not staying started and rough idle is part of the starter problem or something else?? I think i need to clean and or replace my egr and iacv..........i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas....

Old 07-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Seems unrelated. The starter's job is to spin the engine - period. Misfiring, stumbling, smoke, any of that stuff SEEMS unrelated to the starter.

But something might have gotten disturbed during the replacement. Wiring harness pulled one way or another to cause a flaky connection somewhere? Some vacuum hose disconnected & crossed over with a different hose? Things like that?

EGR & IACV are good things to check out, but if they're full of gunk you wonder why this happened all of a sudden with the starter replacement.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:56 PM

and something else..... I had an oil change, wasn't paying attention, just signed the paperwork and sat back and watched. They put 5x30 in it, well, I started leaking, leak is not so bad, it's the falling onto the cat, the smell and the smoke, how embarrassing,I had read somewhere that going from 10x30 to 5x30 on a 300k+ car, will do this. So after 4 days, I drained it out, and replaced with 10x30, I tried to clean up under the car as much as I could, it doesn't smoke bad, but still does, is that residual? how long will it be before it stops? I guess i'll let you know in a couple of days, if the car doesn't blow up! Thanks for letting me rant!

Old 07-18-2014, 02:35 PM

Check the oil filter and see if they used the right one and make sure they didn't double gasket it assuming they are using a generic aftermarket one.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

and something else..... I had an oil change, wasn't paying attention, just signed the paperwork and sat back and watched. They put 5x30 in it, well, I started leaking ...

So your car has 300,000 miles on it and a shop changed the oil. See if this thread fits the bill ...
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ts-leak-58727/

If so, you could add your leak experience to that thread.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Default Information

If you ever get the smoking and smell of running rich problem fixed please post the solution. I have 93 accord with similar problems. Cleaned both idle valves....I have to peddle gas to start and hold gas to keep running until it warms up and mine started like yours but now gives a great smoke screen as I accelerate....lol

Old 10-20-2014, 06:52 AM

Here's one for you, the car runs fine, has nice get up and go, no hesitation, no lag..............but getting it started is the issue......

I had a bad starter, explain this to me, i took out starter, took it to AZ and they tested it fine, i then put it back in and still no turn, so i towed it in. They called 2 hours later, bad starter, $180, so i said go for it, when i picked up car, sure enough it was a new starter, so drove it home....the starter started chirping from the first day, i just haven't had time to take back, it's getting worse, so it's covered under warranty, just got to get time to get down there. another issue, is a hard start, that's why i say car runs fine, just a hard start. when it does finally turn over, it's like choking, I've just noticed white smoke, but not all the time. It smells like 'rich' fuel....i only get white smoke, when i park it for 15 mins, than jump in and go, like i said, i have to give it gas to get it started....soooo, IACV? EGR Valve? maybe bad gas? air filter??? any ideas? like i said, white smoke is once in a blue moon, and it just smells like rich burn.... thanks for the help..

If the cranks but starts hard has been going on for some time:
I blame a leaky injector
Next time, hold the throttle all the way open... and then, I bet it'll start a lot easier(because when you plant your foot on there, it shuts the injectors off, which will mitigate the issue of having an excessive amount of fuel issue if I'm right).

Meanwhile I don't know what is good for honda very well, but I got injectors for my Cadillacs at rockauto. Some cheap brand I think it was called GB or BG. They were fine