General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 accord h22 swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Default 93 accord h22 swap problems

I know the wiring has to be redone when you do this.. when I picked it up they had forgotten the o2 sensor and it was running like crap, so I wired it (had to be extended as the performance exhaust has the hole on the downpipe) and took it back.

They cleaned off the spark plugs and told me the wiring needed to be the right gauge. I drove it like that to the wire store and wired it again.

All the while and still running like crap, not getting the right fuel/air, smells terrible, shakes at idle, no power at all. Do I need to clean the plugs again? Any ideas on how I can trace the issue? Thanks.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

What ECU/TCU (not sure if you have an AT or MT) are you using? Is the H22 a vtec engine?

Is the check engine light turning on while driving?

Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 PM

It is an automatic as it was before the swap, yes it is an h22a vtec. The check engine light is on and the D flashes. I believe the ecu from the new motor was used, I am going to go see if I can get a reading on which one it is.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 PM

I couldn't quite get the ECU out but it looks like the original one... going to have to see whats up with that when they open tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Something is up with the engine computer (check engine light on) and the transmission computer (D light flashing).

The H22 ECU and TCU should be used in this swap. They should check for error codes to see what the computers are detecting.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 AM

Yeah it looks to me like the original control units are still in, under the passenger kick plate right? Are the right ones going to fit or is it going to be a mess? I'll be going to the shop to see whats up tomorrow, thanks for your help.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

I never read anything about the ECU not fitting before. The H22 swap has been done a lot. Search the web to find out what needs to be done.

If you copy and paste the link below, you can get a H22 swap guide. Those files are at the bottom of the web page.

spoonertuner.com/manuals

Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 PM
Default h22 ecu

I got the ecu that came with this motor and yes it fits, it says F90 on it. I didn't get one for the trans so I left that ecu the same. Now the car is actually worse, still engine light, I idled around the parking lot, pressing the gas gave it less throttle. Not sure whats going on.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Default maybe this explains

plus I don't know what's up with either of these loose ends, maybe this explains

Attached Thumbnails 93 accord h22 swap problems-sensor1.jpg   93 accord h22 swap problems-sensor2.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

In the second picture, there is a vacuum hose #16 that is not plugged in and the map sensor is not plugged in.

The first picture looks like something with the vtec is not connected.

What you should do is check for error codes. The procedure should be the same as for your 93 accord, so read the DIY writeup called how to get cel codes.

Last edited by PAhonda; 04-01-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 93 accord h22 swap problems