General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 accord high speed rumble while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Default 93 accord high speed rumble while accelerating

Hello everyone new to this forum, and new to my accord as well.
I recently purchase this awesome little car and have been happy with it until I took it on the highway.

About 20 mins into my 70 - 80mph trip, all of a sudden a mild to violent pulsing beat was felt on my gas peddal. It almost fealt like the pulse of abs while breaking hard.
It only happens at high speeds, and it also only happens when in gear. I put it in neutral and coast smoothly, put it back in 5th to be back in the rumble.

The first time it happened to me I pulled off the freeway and tightened all my wheels thinking maybe the front wheel was loose, than got back on the freeway and it was gone, and didn't come back for the next 100 miles of my trip.

The second time it happened I drove through it while switching from gear to neutral until it went away, than again it didn't come back for the rest of the 100+ mile trip.

So what I thought it was for a while was a CV Axel maybe joint, than I thought that wouldn't make sense because how it stop when I put it in neutral.

If anyone has an idea of what the problem may be, or has dealt with the same side love to hear from you.
Thanks in advance and I will be sure to respond, and keep you updated on progress and completion.

Cam

Old 12-10-2014, 05:49 AM

The first thing that comes to mind is either a bad axle, meaning that is out of balance. The second thing is a rotor is not true and the caliper pins may be sticking or the pads are not free to slide in the caliper frame, this enhancing the effect of a rotor that is out of spec, BUT both of these would happen whether in gear or not.

As far as it only happening while in gear I would be checking for excess up and down play on the inner axle joints as it may be a bad carrier bearing. This is just my initial thought.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:57 PM

Thanks for giving me some time and ideas.
You know, I'm with you still on it being the axle/joint. I know it doesnt make sense due to it stopping while disengaging gear, but i can't see it being anything else.
Its such a cheap fix I'm going to replace both axels and see what happens.
Still taking any other thoughts as well.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by camasaki
About 20 mins into my 70 - 80mph trip, all of a sudden a mild to violent pulsing beat was felt on my gas peddal.
Thanks in advance and I will be sure to respond, and keep you updated on progress and completion.

Cam
Son had an '86 Prelude which reliably after exactly 20 minutes would kick and bitch for 45 seconds (no passing power, tough to maintain freeway speed) and then the check engine light would flick on. Relief followed - like now.

This 'check engine warning' apparently dropped ecu into default mode, which was perfect - full power was immediately available; my son learned just to not try to pass anything until the check engine light had popped on.
Fuel mpg was still great.

Hope your issue is as simple to live with.