General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 accord lx fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Default 93 accord lx fuel pump problem

hey guys my 93 accord lx last week broke down fuel pump quit workin on it i ordered a new one and replaced it while i was waitin for the part to come in i did some research on the relay and pump everything i read about the relay basically tells me the main relay is working correctly this morning my fiancee was driving to work and again pump stopped working.can anyone give me some advice on what it can be i mean i still have to run a few tests to make sure that im getting power to the pump but whats odd is i went to take it off the trailor and fired right up ran for about 3 mins then shut down fuel pump wont kick on again anyone got any ideas i would really appreciate it guys thank you.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

main relay most of the time.

You should always have power at the pump, it is ground that comes on and off with the relay

Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Main relay can be highly intermittent. When relay quits, fuel pump stops and you stop shortly thereafter. Easier to replace relay and see if problem is resolved.

Are you absolutely sure that fuel pump is stopping the car? An intermittent ignition switch could cause similar random stoppage of engine.

good luck

Old 05-09-2012, 02:06 PM

every test i have done goes back to the pump so im thinking it could possibly be a faulty pump main relay clicks when the chk engine light goes off like it says in the service manual still need to check for power to everything but yeah few more things i need to chk out but thx guys for your advice

Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dr.honda
every test i have done goes back to the pump so im thinking it could possibly be a faulty pump main relay clicks when the chk engine light goes off like it says in the service manual still need to check for power to everything but yeah few more things i need to chk out but thx guys for your advice
Sorry to put it this way, the pump is bad if you have voltage and ground to it and it does not run.....put 12v and ground to it (proper terminals)....does it run?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 AM

Hears is a good trick use a old head lit. to check for power and gnd. Why? If the lite comes on very bright that should mean you have power and gnd. with good current a bad conection can cause you to go down wrong road Oh I ment to check it at the pump

Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

A bad main relay will still "click". But it won't make a good electrical connection because of the bad solder joints.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

when car does not start,, you need to physically chk for power and ground at the pump connector,,,,,,if you get both and no fuel pressure you got a bad pump.......if you do not get power could be a gad relay or bad wiring ,,

so if you do not get power at pump chk the power input and output at the relay going to the fuel pump.........if you have input but no output you got a bad relay,,,,,,,if you have both you got bad wiring or a very poor connection