General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 accord new motor! cruise control?

Old 11-21-2015, 06:36 PM
Default 93 accord new motor! cruise control?

Last thread I was overheating, overflow tank was filling up.
Yes it was the head gasket, thank you NorCal Accord.

Took it to Washington's finest Honda dealer for a new old motor, done deal. Also had them look at the Cruise Control and they have had no luck. It had been working for a few weeks when I first got the car 4 months ago, then it stopped. I thought I had done something down by the brake light switch. The dealer has checked switches, wiring, everything, replaced the control module under the dash, ???? I need to get on the road so I'm gonna get the car back shortly cruise or not. Any ideas, or anywhere anyone would recommend, I WILL GO ANYWHERE IN THE US! Want the cruise to work again.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Hard to give good help on the cruise without being able to give feedback on test results.

What is the cruise doing? Does the light come on with the main switch? When you go to set it (switch on steering wheel) what happens.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:58 PM

The main switch on the dash does illuminate when you turn it on there.
When you go to set it from the steering wheel nothing happens.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Auto or manual trans......both have a switch on the brake pedal. The adjustment on this switch HAS to be correct. It can be adjusted so the brake lights work fine but the cruise will not, With the brake not pressed you will need to check the continuity across the two pins for the cruise (two of the four).

If a manual, there is another switch on the clutch pedal......there are two on the clutch, one for the starter and another for the cruise.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:02 PM

It is a manual, ok I'll make sure both switches are doing their thing.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen switches, both brake and clutch pedal prove out good with a meter, and then when in real world situations fail intermittently or not work at all.

And yes, the brake lamps can work fine but not allow the cruise to engage.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:42 PM

Ok thanks I will try replacing the switches even if they test to be working. I have two 93 accords with this problem, one manual and one auto.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

I remember one of the pedals (clutch or brake) had two switches, where one was for cruise control.

I suggested on a different thread. Do some electrical testing before replacing working parts. I have seen "new" aftermarket parts that don't work properly due to being cheap or not installed properly. This makes diagnosis more difficult.

One wire going to the switch should have power. The switch should read open or closed circuit. Not sure if the switch is open with your foot off the pedal, but this is simple to test. If the switch is open with your foot off the brake pedal, just unplug the switch and see if you get cruise control. If the switch is closed with your foot off the pedal, use a piece of wire to short the electrical connector, then test the cruise control.

I'd suggest getting a wiring diagram to verify you are working on the proper switch. Google 62SN700.PDF for a pdf shop manual for a 90-93 accord that will help you out a lot to troubleshoot.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I remember one of the pedals (clutch or brake) had two switches, where one was for cruise control.
Originally Posted by poorman212
there are two on the clutch, one for the starter and another for the cruise.
As suggested, I would test before just replacing parts. Just need a volt meter and test for continuity on the switches when in the proper position.