General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 accord no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Default 93 accord no start

I have a 1993 Honda accord that will not start. I have checked the engine from head to toe, to include new coil, new distributor, new plugs, new wires, new timing belts and the car still refuses to start. It did harrumph at me like it was thinking about starting but that is all. Please help I'm at my wits end.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

I moved your thread from the DIY section. We don't use that section for help questions anymore.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Any back ground.....just walked out one morning and this happend.....just replaced X and now it won't run.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Any no-start diagnosis begins w/ same check. What's missing; fuel or fire?

Fuel: Turn keyswitch to On and listen carefully in quiet conditions for fuel pump to come on w/ soft buzzing and run for 2-3 secs and go off. If no fuel pump buzz, fuel pressure is not available to enable a start and defective fuel pump or main fuel relay are likely possibilities.

If fuel pump buzzes, then spark is likely missing.

Fire: If you hear fuel pump buzz, then easiest check for spark is to spray fuel (throttle body cleaner or starter) into the air intake (7-10 secs dose) and attempt to start.

If no start w/ spray fuel, check for voltage and ground to distributor, check coil and ignitor.

If engine starts and briefly runs, then fuel delivery is compromised somehow. Recheck fuel pump, main fuel relay, and next check fuel injection system.

good luck

Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 AM

This actually happened while driving down the highway the car was on cruise control and it just started loosing power. Pulled off the road and it would not start. I have already checked the three basic components air, spark, and fuel. All are present additionally I checked the main relay it's good all injectors are good, ign switch is good. The only problem I can find Is the timing belt slipped some teeth. I know this is an interference engine but I didn't hear any noise when the engine wound down. I am preparing to conduct a compression test hoping that I do not need to pull the head.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

those are typical symptoms right before a timing belt lets go...compression check will confirm, or you can just pull the timing belt cover and check the alignment marks.