General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Accord Vibration in Drive and Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Default 93 Accord Vibration in Drive and Reverse

Hello I got a 93 Honda Accord EX with 145k miles and I have a vibration when I put it in gear whether its forward or reverse. When I shift into neutral or park it is considerably better. I had a tech change all the motor mounts as it sounded from what I've read that is probably the issue. Well now with all new mounts problem still persists. I checked the vacuum solenoid and I am puzzled on how to tell if that is working properly or not. I bypassed the solenoid and problem isn't any better. There is definately vac going to solenoid not sure if its going to motor mount. What I'm wondering is if it would be better to just do away with the vacuum actuated mount and get something that just functions like the other mounts or is this a common issue and what is generally the fix for this. I've read other postings but have yet to see a clear cut answer that people had for this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Otherwise the car is in great condition in and out I'm just annoyed by this silly vibration.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

I think that the vacuum hose should have vacuum when the engine is idling (700-750 rpm).

When you raise the rpm over 1000, there should be no vacuum.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure the vacuum hose is connected to the rear engine mount.

If you get a "normal" mount, like say from a manual-trans Accord, it'll just have that vibration. The vacuum-operated mount gets soft when idling in D or R. A manual-trans mount never has the need to get soft.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Default Vacuum Solenoid?!?

Well I am still fairly sure its the vacuum solenoid. I have ordered the part and now just waiting to see if that fixes the problem. I did clean the IAC since I read that it can also cause some bad vibrations. It was pretty dirty but didn't change the idle at all. I also adjust the FITV and that also didn't yield any changes. As far as that solenoid goes I've had someone put it in drive while in idle and felt no vac from it to the mount so I hope my suspicions are correct I'll post again once I get the solenoid installed. I figured for a 45$ genuine honda part its worth the gamble. Any other people that has experienced this problem before I would be happy to hear your stories on the eventual fix of this darn vibration.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

I hope that fixes the problem.

You probably could have done a couple of tests to verify the solenoid using a volt meter.

More specifically, there should be voltage across the two pins of the electrical connector to the solenoid.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Default Update!

Ok so I bought a vacuum tester put the hose right on the new mount and pumped it up. No vacuum read it wouldn't hold. I tested the old mount and it held vacuum and moved the piston thingy. Now do I gamble and put the old mount back in or is there a way to tell that the fluid in the mount is ok and it will work. I personally would rather purchase a new rear motor mount and send back the bad one I just bought. The tech said when he pulled the old one though it was seized up and wouldn't move. Well I was able to move the linkage on it after some added elbow grease. Frustrated that the new part appears to be junk, but at least I've discovered something that explains why the new mount didn't help at all. So I guess off to do some shopping around for another mount. Might try and see why the linkage isn't moving on the new one but its a biotch to get at! I'll keep everyone posted to my progress. Thanks for all the info too I've been using it!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

In the first post you said you just had a shop change the mounts? If that rear mount doesn't hold vacuum, that's the problem. It's unusual, but it's possible a new part is bad right out of the box.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:27 PM

Ya had all the mounts changed and I tested the rear mount again and even blew air into the mount and could hear the leak in the plastic housing the hose connects to. So I'll order a new mount and send back the bad one. Now that I have the testing equipment I can test the next one before its installed to save myself some headaches. I'll post what happens when the new one is installed. Anyone know a good place to find a affordable OEM rear motor mount for Accords?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

I've got stuff from www dot hondaautomotiveparts dot com
But be aware of the shipping & whatever other charges when you compare prices.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:23 AM

Update! Well I've fixed that rear motor mount and still vibration exists. I also changed the solenoid and still not fixed. I did a tune up consisting of wires,cap,rotar, all honda parts and brand new NGK spark plugs no change in vibration. Changed fuel filter and still notta. Noticed that I had oil on spark plug tubes so I changed all 8 orings in the valve cover included the four under the cam cage. No change in vibration. I'm in the process of changing the Catalytic converter its old and was in tough shape not sure if that will do anything but w/e needed to be done. So I'm at a point where I'm just ready to live with it and accept this car will just vibrate and not much I can do about it.

Quick Reply: 93 Accord Vibration in Drive and Reverse