General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 ex coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 03:46 PM
dane5547
Unregistered
Default 93 ex coupe

Hi, I'm new to this group. I just put timing & balance belts in my 93 coupe. I suspect the timing belt may be off one cog to the advanced side because it was pinging. I have been able to slip the belt on a civic without taking the lower cover off by taking the top off and pulling the belt of and put it back on one cog at a time and I have two questions:

1. which direction do I go with the belt to retard by one cog. counter clockwise or clockwise?

2. I retarded the timing by ear because it was pinging without shorting the two pins in the plug under the dash as the manual calls out. When I looked at the timing I couldn't see any marks on the flywheel (manual 5 speed) Can anyone tell me why and what happens when these two pins are shorted out and will the timing actually be set if I don't short them?

Gerry

Old 11-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You should be able to take just the top cover off and verify if you have it timed correctly. Get the crank at TDC and lock the balance shaft (there is a bolt you remove and insert something to lock it in place), then line the cam up according to the manual. You may want to look up what is recommend to lock the balancer but the bolt you remove isn’t behind the timing belt cover so you should be able to just take the top cover off. Here is a post with some addition information and photos. I have sneaked timing belts back on myself on vehicles when I was just doing the cylinder head. It think it just comes down to skill.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ead.php?t=3977

I don’t know which way is to retard. If it is the same as dist timing it is the same as rotation.

I believe the connector you jump stops the computer from controlling the timing and allows you to get baseline.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:47 PM
dane5547
Unregistered
Default 93 ex coupe

The reason I broke it open was because of a massive oil leak. The belts needed to be changed anyway so... I did find that the balance shaft seal was blown right out of the seat. Then I read in the thread that you mentioned that there is a oil seal retainer...well there wasn't one on mine and no reference in my honda shop manual. So is there supposed to be one on my 93? If so the last person to replace the timing belt didn't put it back on.
Gerry

Old 11-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You have a good question. I tried to see what years Honda had a campaign to replace them. My understanding of a campaign is a silent recall. I found on one website 94-96 but the post I referenced was for a 1992. I have a 1995 and Honda fixed mine and replaced the recent replaced timing belt for free along with the seal and installed the retainer. I would say your car should have the retainer which you can buy from Honda. I would suggest contacting Honda about your 1993 and if the campaign covers your vehicle and is still open as some of these campaign have a date to end.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Don't automaticlly assume that it's advanced. Take off the upper timing cover & look at the timing marks. When the crank is at TDC, you'll see which direction the cam sprocket should move.

I imagine if you can reach down in there, then you can avoid removing the lower cover. Never done this, so just guessing.
1 Loosen the tensioner lock nut
2 push the tensioner pulley down to loosen the belt
3 carefully move the belt
4 let go the tensioner
5 turn the crankshaft forward a bit
- this moves the slack to the rear where the tensioner takes it up.
6 tighten the tensioner nut while holding the crankshaft

All the while, don't allow the balance-shaft-belt to skip a tooth...