General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 EX cranks but wont fire.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Default 93 EX cranks but wont fire.

I have a 93 EX. I have been having an issue lately where the engine will crank but not fire. It will finally fire after turning the key a few times, and holding it for up to few seconds sometimes. Once it's running it stays running, and doesn't cut out or die. It doesn't happen every time I try to start it. I seems to happen the most (or only) on the hottest days, and when its in direct sunlight. It has also been pretty humid around here lately. Could it be moisture in a connections somewhere? Has anyone else had this problem, or know what it could be? Thanks

Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Test the main realy. There are posts in here that will help you through the location and process for testing it to be sure that is the issue. I'm assuming that the "fire" you are talking about is "running" and not spark. If spark is missing look into the ICM.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i agree with Poorman ( by the way hope you get rich soon :-) ),, sounds like a main relay issue,, there are some write up in our DIY section that can help you diagnose it

Old 07-29-2010, 03:27 PM

Main relay must be expensive? By fire, I did mean start, wrong terminology I guess. It's just every once in a while it does it, and like I said, only when it's real hot. It hasn't done it in a couple days now. This sounds like main relay symptoms? Is it only a matter of time before it doesn't start at all? I have a couple repair manuals, so I'll do some looking around. Thanks for getting me started.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

I just looked at an online site and LIST price was @ 65~70, that is why we suggest testing before just replacing. Terminoloy, we all call things different so don't worry. Yes this is classic main relay symptoms, the heat makes things expand..terminals loose connections. I've seen some that say you can re-solder the connections but I've never done that. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:42 PM

Ok. Thanks a lot for the help

Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 PM

Anyone know if this is the right part number?
39400-SM4-003

It says RELAY ASSY,. MAIN.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by tycobb280
I have a 93 EX. I have been having an issue lately where the engine will crank but not fire. It will finally fire after turning the key a few times, and holding it for up to few seconds sometimes. Once it's running it stays running, and doesn't cut out or die. It doesn't happen every time I try to start it. I seems to happen the most (or only) on the hottest days, and when its in direct sunlight. It has also been pretty humid around here lately. Could it be moisture in a connections somewhere? Has anyone else had this problem, or know what it could be? Thanks
yes this same thing is happening to my 94 accord. some days it will start up quick then some times it hesitates but still starts then some times it takes a few trys to start then i have to push the gas a little to start it.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Default same problem

Hey,you guys,i have an 89 accord with the same problem,cranks and starts great when its cool outside,but when its hot,above 80,i have to spray startin fluid in the throttle body to get it to run,the problem has only gottin worse this summer,now its atleast ten squirts of startin fluid to get it to run,i have a donner car that i have used to replace the main fuel pump relay,fuel regulator, i also replaced the fuel pump with a new unit,still the same problem,if its in the main relay,where is it located? your not talking about the main fuel pump relay are you? thanks.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

I'm an honest sort of guy, so I'll tell ya right up front not to waste money getting a new Main Relay. You'll wind up in the same situation next year.
Repair the solder joints on your old one.
You can 'pop' the guts out of the case with a couple small screw drivers and leave the case in the car. [unplug it first..key off]
Here's a pic that shows the bad/cracked solder joints that feed the relay coil;
Over hill, over dale, hondadudes reliable rebuilds never fail

Last edited by hondadude; 07-31-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 93 EX cranks but wont fire.