General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 EX overheating after cleaning IACV

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 93 EX overheating after cleaning IACV

Cleaned the IACV today, and took it for a drive. It ran fine for about 10 minutes and then started overheating. It seems like the bottom hose is normal temp, but the top hose is super hot! When I disconnected the right line of the IACV a little pressured water came out. NOt sure if this is normal, or if these guys get clogged. I figured only air would go through these lines. Not sure if I should start with a thermostat, or (since I'm new to Honda) if these guys have a common issue with overheating.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

IACV has coolant going to it, so that is not a surprise.

I would start by getting a thermostat at the honda dealership. Drain the coolant, replace the thermostat, the properly refill and bleed air from the cooling system.

Google zUpXgAJ1gjU, and watch the video on how to drain, fill, then bleed the coolant. Replace the thermostat after draining the system.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks! That worked great, however I drove it to work today and back home put it in a park and it overheated again. It didn't overheat until I turned it off and turn the key off and back on to roll up the windows. I started it up, the fans kicked on and temp went back down. I started it up and it seemed ok returned to normal. Its very weird. I changed the thermostat and radiator cap.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

When the temperature starts to rise while the car is in park with the engine running, do both fans turn on?

Were both hoses hot this time?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I didn't check but the fans do turn on a lot, and I know they did turn on when I was leaving the vehicle. But I didn't check the fans.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

OK I went to check antifreeze. It was low. It took a lot of antifreeze. I don't that it could be leaking anywhere and I doubt that much was leaked out through a BHG. Think it just didn't get enough this morning when I bled it?

Old 06-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Some autoparts stores will rent a cooling system pressure tester for free. You will get your deposit back when you return the kit.

See if the radiator will hold about 15 psi for 10-15 min. If there is a leak, the pressure will go down pretty quickly.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thinking BHG?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Its leaking coolant pretty good between the timing belt cover. Water pump?

Old 06-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Pressure testing the radiator really doesn't test the head gasket, since you are at ~15 psi. It will test the coolant system that has to hold 15psi. The headgasket has to hold for much higher pressures (>150psi).

You will have to still find the leak. You may have to remove the valve cover and the upper timing belt cover to see if coolant is coming out of the weep hole in the water pump.

Quick Reply: 93 EX overheating after cleaning IACV