General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Honda Accord EX NO BRAKE LIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Default 93 Honda Accord EX NO BRAKE LIGHTS

Hi. I have A 1993 Honda Accord Coupe EX, I tried everything i Checked fuse box, checked the brake sensor changed the light bulbs but for some reason the marker lights come on but when i press my brake pedal the break light wont turn on???

I can really Use some help. Also when i turn off the car something keeps ringing in there as if i left the keys in ignition or lights on but everything is off and keys are out any one know what that could be??

THANKS
SAM

Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 AM

I am thinking may be a bad ground and the ckt. is finding a gnd thru the marker lits doe s the hi mount work at all? take the fuse out for the marker lits and retry it Can you find ware the bk. lits. gnd? do the frount marker lits wor ok/? Are you shure you have the corect bulbs in the bk. lits? also check the bulb holders very close for a problem Ok try this also take out 1 bk. bulb at a time and retry it Pls re post ASAP

Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

To clarify this; You step on the brake and the marker lights come on ??

By saying you checked the brake light sensor, do you mean you tested the brake light switch?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM

no the marker lights come on when i turn on the lights when i press the brake i get nothing. also the front and rear marker lights work i checked the light bulbs i have the correct ones in it i was unable to find the ground to it thats what im thinking is wrong with it. i just bought the car and dont have a owners manual. i cant register or insure the car till i know its safe to be put on the road thanks for your help guys i hope this answers more for you to be able to help me more. again thank you

sam

Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Fuse #25 in underhood fuse panel [20 amp] Horn works, it's okay
With your handy dandy test light go to the brake switch, check for fuse power on the White/yellow wire. Then with the pedal down power should be available on Green/white wire outbound to the brake lights.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Question 93 honda accord EX NO BRAKE LIGHTS

Yeah i tried that as well i got one wire that was on with the test light and one wire that lit when i tapped my brake pedal. i also removed the wires from the brake sensor and i tried connecting a wire into the two ports of the yellow wire and the other wire when i do that i hear it click. ALSO i took out the bulbs turned the lights on and one of the metal on the brake light port i got the test light to remain lit ( witch is the marker light) but the one for the brake light does not turn the test light on when the brake is pressed. also i checked the horn 20AMP fuse that is good i actually replaced a lot of fuse's in the car even thou they work just fine... i even bought new brake lights with the wires and the that did not even work. now i did get the car after the owner had it parked for almost a year and there was water in the trunk the only thing i can think of right now is that it is the negative wire. but even with the neg wire where would i find that at to change it location. ( SORRY IF THIS IS ALL CONFUSING YOU) I Just got married and bought the honda due to the face i owned a 2006 nissan altima with 70k miles on it and i got into a huge accident and tottaled the car and had no Insurance at the time. now i have 3 jobs lined up and im trying to get this car on the road so i can begin work im behind on a lotta bills

Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

There is an important ground on the thermostat housing that you may want to unbolt. Use a wire brush to clean the bolt and eyelet, then reattach.

I would also disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables.

I don't have a good diagram for the wiring on a 93 accord. Follow the black ground wires from one of the tail lights to find where it grounds. I think it will be near one of the tail lights.

Also check for power on the green/white wire that goes to the black box on the driver's side tail light. This is the brake light sensor that warns you if a brake light bulb burned out.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds like a brake lite failure sensor issue

with brake pedal depressed ,, if you get power out at the brake switch at the green/white wire,, switch is ok.......

chk to see if you get power at both failure sensors same color wire,,,,,,if you do and you got no power at brake bulb connector,,sensor is your problem ,,,( assuming you got a good ground at black wire ant the connector..)
if you get power and ground you got bad bulbs or bad sockets ....highly unlikely for the bulbs ( 4,,5 counting 3rd brake lite ) to go out ,,

they all share the same ground , make sure that you are getting a good ground at black wires

Old 05-11-2012, 03:59 AM

I am gonna try to look for the ground and clean the wires up good i replaced the bulbs and sockets three times and i never got a light on my dash saying "brake lamp" until i changed the BRAKE FLUID COVER AND WIRES??? Sound weird i dont know what is going on i wish i had the money to take it to a shop. My father has been a mechanic for 23 years so i learned a lot from him but he took a look at it as well and was shocked to (if it helps the previous owner had a sound system in the truck i removed it)

I WANNA THANK EVERYONE FOR HELPING
GOD BLESS
SAM

Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The brake light ground is in the trunk. Pop the plastic cover off that goes around the latch and on the right side you will see the ground wires connected to a bolt.

Mine actually broke once and cause me problems where when the brakes were depresed the blinker lights came on.

Quick Reply: 93 Honda Accord EX NO BRAKE LIGHTS