General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Honda Accord- No Power- No Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:24 AM
Default 93 Honda Accord- No Power- No Start

We have a 93 Honda Accord 2.2 LX 5 speed and the main relay has given us problems last summer but seemed to stop after it cooled off for the year. Several months ago the key cylinder went out and my husband has been bypassing it to start his car. As in he has been using a screw driver and starting it from ignition switch in the column. Now the key is stuck in on position, no power to anything on dash. There are no indicator lights, no defrost front or rear, no intermittent windshield wipers. This morning the car would not start at all. Headlights work and so does stereo. Battery is good. Where do we start to get it started? We have narrowed it down to ignition and key cylinder, main relay or ECU. Any ideas that won't break the bank. Hubby needs his car. p.s. He is at work and I am trying to dx by myself so I apologize if I ask weird questions.

Sarah

Old 04-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

There is a mechanical and electrical portion of the ignition switch.

It the mechanical part just turns when the proper key is installed. The electrical part makes the necessary contacts to power up the proper parts.

It sounds like the mechanical part failed originally. Now you have an electrical problem. You may want to check fuses, because you may have blown one.

Removing the ignition switch isn't too difficult. The hardest part is to remove the rounded head bolts as shown in this video.

Do you know how to test for power and ground using a volt meter or test light?

Since the mechanical is messed up, I would pickup a switch from a junkyard. I would probably take it to a lock smith to have them key it for the current key, so the same key works the doors and ignition switch.

The problem for the electrical part could be the switch or the power supply (blown fuse) to the electrical part of the switch.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:28 AM

You will first need to get a new lock cylinder. When you do you will see there is a pin that, when pushed in, releases the lock cylinder. You will see when you look at it.

You will need to somehow turn the existing screwdriver to I believe the 1 position, then push in the pin you will see on the new lock cylinder using some sort of paperclip or a pick or some sort after removing the steering cover to access the pin.

If you can't get the existing screwdriver to the 1 position you will need to have someone drill out the lock cylinder. I would suggest a mechanic do this as it's not easy but mechanics have done this plenty of times before for the same reasons.

There is a chance that simply the lock cylinder has manage to break and it is not allowing the electrical ignition switch to turn. You will need to buy an entire lock cylinder and ignition switch combo and it will be reinstalled by a professional mechanic or perhaps a locksmith might be able to do this job.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:47 AM

Yes start with the key. If you need to save money find a salvage yard that has the same generation car 1990 thru 1993 and ask if they have the key. If so take the key cylinder and electrical portion of the ignition switch and swap that onto your car.