General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'93 Honda Accord won't start.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: '93 Honda Accord won't start.......

The main relay switches power for the fuel pump (& other things). The first check is every time you try to start, turn the key to 'ON' without continuing immediately to 'START'. You should hear the pump run for 2 seconds & then stop. If youhear that & it still doesn't start, look elsewhere for the problem.

The other half of the main relay switches power to the ECU, fuel injectors,& several sensors. This part isn't the common failure, but anything's possible. If this IS the failure in your case, the check-engine lamp will NOT light up for it's 2-second bulb-check.
edit...
I should say that backwards. If the CEL lights up for 2-seconds, then the main relay is OK. There's other problems that canprevent your CEL from lighting up.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 AM

I'm still not convinced the car security system is not to blame. It is aftermarket correct? I did not think Honda installed security systemsas advanced as you described above back in 1993.
My first advice would be to completely remove the security system if it is aftermarket. Do not leave a single piece of it in the car. Those security systems can cause people to go on "wild goose chases" and waste lots of time and money. If it is as advanced as you said, it could be causing this entire problem. What do you have to lose? You said you never arm it anyway.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

If it is as advanced as you said, it could be causing this entire problem. What do you have to lose? You said you never arm it anyway.
could be as well... I have seen security systems do all sort of funky stuff

Old 10-17-2007, 09:37 PM

Ok, I've added a few pictures I took today. Sorry, they're not the greatest quality. One is a picture of the system control box, one is of the Distributor area, and one is a scan of the only info that came with the car about the security system.

So I listened to the clicks and watched the idiot lights when turning the key on. When the key is turned to On I get a click. Then I hear a noise (im assuming is the fuel pump coming on) then a few seconds later another click happens and the following idiot lights turn out: D4, Check Engine, SRS, and door ajar/brake lamp lights. When attempting to start the engine, I get an initial click, and then another click sounding like an "off" click and then another click as i let the key go back to rest since the engine doesnt start.

I double checked all the fuses again today (under hood and dash) and they all seem to be fine.

Im not sure if this security system is stock or not. I cannot find much info on it anywhere. But I will coninue to try. Heres the info I got off the back of the control unit under the driver seat:
FCC ID: A 269ZUA088
P/N: 08E50
REF#: HS-3AA
SN: AW20604507

If anyone knows anything about this security system, it would really help. I dont know what it's connected to so I dont know what to remove.

I just ordered a Chilton's guide that will be here tomorrow so I can get a better idea of how to execute your suggestions.
And again, Thanks alot everyone!

[IMG]local://upfiles/13067/7A0E732CB11849C9891A78517F49EA38.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13067/5EA53422313F4E92BF38FB608AA2C1C1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13067/A399349149DE4B089420254AE1156032.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Your detailed description now sounds like the starter doesn't crank. Is that right? That would be a huge difference & maybe sent us on a wild goose chase...

Old 10-18-2007, 09:40 AM

Ok sorry, I can see why the way I put it could make it sound that way. It cranks "chuga chugga chugga" but wont fire. It sounds like its going to start just fine, but it just never does.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Based on the last comment, I suspect the security system (like my fellow post ***** friend, 00). Try locking and unlocking it 5 times consecutively. That can reset a lot of them.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:27 AM

I may be WAY off but there are a couple of questions I have as well. Have you had that battery tested at all? Get a set of jumper cables, hook them up to a friends car, start his car and have him rev to about 2k rpms and hold it there for 15-30 seconds, then jump in yours and try it. Still no start? When you were checking fuel pressure did you simply remove the nut (car not running or even on) and watch the fuel or did you remove the nut and have someone crank the car over? If not then check it under cranking. As for spark, get a spark plug (make sure you're using ONLY NGK plugs, if you have BOSCH in there right now toss them) pull a plug wire off one spark plug (yes it goes down to what seems to be under the valve cover), insert the spark plug, set it on the valve cover or somewhere and have someone crank, got spark? Bright, good clear spark?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:14 PM

Ok, I'll check those things. As for the battery, I took a friends battery out of his car and replaced it with mine as well as having it jumped. I did not check the nut while cranking but will do so. I am having the car toed to my house tomorrow so I can actually go out and try these things easily. It may take me a couple days to try all these things. Hopefully it's the security system and the 5 times unlock and relock will work, but I wont hold my breathe.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

From your description, the fuel pump seems suspect. You had no fuel pressure, and you have verifed the main fuel relay is engaging. I would suggest checking for power to the fuel pump in the trunk. Note, you only get power for 2 secs when keyswitch is turned to ON, then power goes off. If you're getting power to the fuel pump, but no fuel pressure then either a bad fuel pump or blocked fuel filter.

good luck

Quick Reply: '93 Honda Accord won't start.......