General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 no start. fuel and spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Default 93 no start. fuel and spark

My 93 EX won't start. It has good spark, and fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Battery is good. It will crank, and every couple seconds or so it with back fire. I finally got it started once, it ran kinda rough. I went to take it for a test drive and as soon as I tapped the gas pedal it died, didn't rev at all, just dead. I couldn't get it started again. Where do I go from here?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:13 PM

Timing belt jumped a cog or two?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 PM

I don't think it would've ran for the short bit it did if that was the case. I said it ran rough, but not too bad. It was also probably because the car has sat all winter

Old 03-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Default i have fuel and spark but no start

The tittle says it. Where do I start? Whats the common issue? I crank, but nothing happens but a little back fire every few seconds or so.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Usually need a bit more to go on? Might think about adding your car info to your signature so you don't forget again to tell us what you are working on.

Timing is.
Spark was checked by
Fuel was checked by
Compression is

Any recent work done?

Got a few more but lets start with these.

Thanks

Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 PM

93 EX 5 speed

I have fuel at the fitting on the fuel rail, sounds like the pump kicks on

checked spark with spark plug against block. All for had good blueish spark

Timing is good, because i finally got it started, it ran fine. it died when i was going to take it for a test drive. I tapped the gas pedal and it died right away. haven't got it started again since.

not sure on compression.

It quit running back in Dec. It has sat since then. now that its getting nice again i want to get it running and get rid of it.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

I've merged your threads together.....

Forgot one, is the CEL on?

Any recent work, in Dec?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 PM

Well, I took all the spark plugs out and cleaned them, they were pretty black. I stuck them back in, and it started. Now I have the original problem still that was happening right before it quit starting all together. It will hesitate and stumble upon acceleration, whether there's a load on it letting the clutch out or just reving in neutral. Once you get past that initial point, it smooths out and stays smooth until you let it get back down to idle speed. I think the last thing i did was a new O2 sensor. It was the third one I put in within about 2 years since I've owned it. Bosch the first 2 times that went bad, so I tried an OEM Densco, thinking it might be better. There are no stored CEL codes. Could it be the O2 sensor again? What keeps making it go bad? It kind of has the same symptoms as the last time it went bad, just worse. The other times I had a CEL though.
Thanks

EDIT: What do black plugs mean? Too rich? Is the fuel injection off somehow? Is one on the injectors suck open? is that what could be making o2 sensors go bad? How do I check these things?

Last edited by tycobb280; 03-13-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

When was the last time the cap/rotor/wires changed/tested.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 PM

shortly before I bought it I think. about 50,000 miles or about 2 1/2 years. The cap rotor and wires were all replaced. I visually inspected everything, it all looked good to me. It all still looks almost brand new. There was good looking spark at all the wires. I don't want to start replacing everything hoping it will go away.

Quick Reply: 93 no start. fuel and spark