General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 no start. fuel and spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a timing light?

Old 03-14-2012, 08:06 PM

I do not

Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Did you use the NGK spark plugs that are recommended for this car? They are the copper V-power plugs and run about $2 for each spark plug.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 PM

No, I have bosch. It ran fine for a long time with them. It's cheap enough though, maybe i will try the NGK's and see if that makes it any better.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

The spark plugs you want to get are NGK ZFR5F-11. Most parts stores carry them. Most techs on here recommend only NGK or Denso plugs that are recommended by Honda.

Honda recommends that you change them every 24K miles, so you are way past due. Hopefully this is a $6-$10 repair.

I would also inspect the contacts inside the distributor cap and rotor for signs of significant wear or corrosion.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 PM

well the plugs are newer than the rest. they have maybe 24k on them, no more than that though. I looked at all the contacts, they looked good. I will try the new plugs. Thanks for the input. I read some posts about the electrical side of the ignition switch causing symptoms similar to mine. There was a post that described almost exactly the same symptoms as I have, it was fixed by replacing the electrical side of the switch. Any opinions on this?

Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Try spraying some starting fluid into the intake. Your fuel pump runs & you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. But maybe the injecctors aren't firing??

Old 03-15-2012, 07:18 PM

I wouldn't believe it if i didn't see it myself.... New NGK plugs and it's running great. Now I just need to replace hub assembly and it will be for sale. Anyone want it? Hate to see it go with gas prices on the rise, but 4 cars is too many. Thanks for all the help and input guys.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

I believe it... something similar happened to me on a 89 Saab. Busted fuel pressure regulator, it was running reallly REALLY rich. Fixed that, pulled the plugs, cranked the engine with the fuel pump unplugged to dry out the cylinders. The plugs looked beautiful so I put them back in. No luck. I was too stubborn (cheap) to put new plugs in until my wife made some comment about my ..uh.. frugal habits. (Being a G-rated forum I'm not allowed to quote her directly) New plugs and it fired right up.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 PM

I spoke too soon. I know it's been a while, but I'm just getting around to getting this car back on the road. when I changed the spark plugs to the NGK it fired right up and ran good. On my test drive I noticed the rear brakes were seized up. It took me a while to get the rebuild kit and get the brakes working properly. When I was bleeding the brakes, I had the engine idling. it starting running rough, and eventually died. I would not start back up. Same issue as before, crank, no start. I tried it a couple days later and it fired right up. Then, It sat for a while again (maybe a couple weeks) while I was waiting for a new exhaust piece. I went to work on the exhaust today and it wouldn't start again. Still the same issue. Any other suggestions? Still same stuff going on. Still getting fuel, and spark.

Still no codes BTW

Last edited by tycobb280; 05-02-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 93 no start. fuel and spark