General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94-95 ex ecus

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Got the "ECU/ECM" today and guess what? They sent me the TCU, because that does me a lot of good. Even though the ebay title was 95 ex ECU/ECM.

Today just isnt my day, had a bunch of packages waiting for me, and 3 of them were wrong or had items that werent as described, now I get to try and return or exchange it all.

UPDATE: They are willing to refund me, but are maintaining that the transmission computer is called a ECM/ECU.

Last edited by live2rice; 02-17-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well I wrote you in the PM earlier that you can have the ECU from my 95 donor car for $10 shipped if you can use it. It is a non-Vtec 5 speed car that was most likely running fine when the timing belt broke on it.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

For the 5th gen 4-cylinder accords: The 94/95 have a TCU and ECU. The 96/97 have a PCM (combined ECU/TCU).

For the 94/95... There is a ECU for an automatic transmission. There is an ECU for a manual transmission.

The automatic ECU can be modified to be a manual ECU by moving some resistors. I remember a thread talking about how to do this. Let me search to see if I can find it.

EDIT: The 95-97 V6 accords all had OBD2 PCMs.

Last edited by PAhonda; 02-17-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:46 PM

Well I have an automatic 'computer' from a 97 - if the OP can use it he can have it for the cost of shipping

Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i have an auto ECU which was stock in my Auto accord... i have a manual transmission on it now... did anyone find the thread on how to change the auto ECU to a manual one? also if i do this i still need to change the engine harness to a manual one right? cuz right now my auto harness does not plug into the manual transmission at all... so i have no vtec OR reverse lights... so my question how can i keep the ECU thats in the car and change it from auto to manual and do i still need to change the engine harness to have the correct plug or is there a way around this... i know u can wire the reverse lights its vtec im worried about.. my motor has NO power past 4 and doesnt crossover into vtec like it did when it was auto

Old 05-22-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Slammed94CD5
i have an auto ECU which was stock in my Auto accord... i have a manual transmission on it now... did anyone find the thread on how to change the auto ECU to a manual one? also if i do this i still need to change the engine harness to a manual one right? cuz right now my auto harness does not plug into the manual transmission at all... so i have no vtec OR reverse lights... so my question how can i keep the ECU thats in the car and change it from auto to manual and do i still need to change the engine harness to have the correct plug or is there a way around this... i know u can wire the reverse lights its vtec im worried about.. my motor has NO power past 4 and doesnt crossover into vtec like it did when it was auto
1) Start a new thread
2) Explain your setup, what motor, what car
3) You cannot change an Auto trans ECU to Manual
4) If you are running a F22b1 then the V-Tech is for gas mileage and not performance
5) Hit the ENTER key every now and then as it makes it much easier to follow what you are saying.

I changed my Auto to a 5 Speed recently so I do have good knowledge on the subject.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

then why would someone in this thread say by moving some resistors it can be changed into a manual ecu...

Old 05-23-2012, 01:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

also your comment about vtec... what does that have to do with anything? the car still doesnt go into vtec im not saying that i want the vtec to work so it can be some monster on the street... if youve driven an EX accord with the vtec working and the motor getting power thru the whole RPM range and u drive it without vtec working and it stops making power at 4 grand then youd understand

Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

I've heard there's a jumper or something you can cut or move or change, to convert an automatic ECU to manual. Never done it, so I don't really know the details. That might only be possible for certain years??

Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Slammed94CD5
also your comment about vtec... what does that have to do with anything? the car still doesnt go into vtec im not saying that i want the vtec to work so it can be some monster on the street... if youve driven an EX accord with the vtec working and the motor getting power thru the whole RPM range and u drive it without vtec working and it stops making power at 4 grand then youd understand

Buddy please start a new thread.

Explain in detail what motor, trans, ecu, years

What you have changed

What is working

What is not working

What testing you have done

What ECU codes you are getting

Write everything clearly and make it easy to read

I will bet you that you get answers to all your questions and get everything on your car all worked out.

Please start a new thread with good descriptions and make it easy to understand.

There are many good and knowledgeable members on this board that are very will to help you, just put some effort in it.

Look forward to your new thread and assisting you with getting your Honda running in tip top shape.