General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord Auto trans hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Default 94 Accord Auto trans hard shifting

First post, other than my intro:

I just picked up another 94 Accord to replace my totaled one. My first was a DX manual, this one is an EX Auto. It's got 166k miles on it.

The auto trans seemed to be shifting hard and at the wrong time. First thing I did was check the throttle position cable adjustment and it was a little loose. That seemed to help with the shift points. It still seems to shift harder when cold and a little better warmed up. My first thought was to change the ATF. I checked it and it seems to be filled properly and clean. Since the car is used, who knows the history of course.

Next question, is any ATF OK in this car or does it need to be Honda brand? I know some vehicles require OEM fluids.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 PM

This is one of those questions that works great for sparking arguments... lol

Generally speaking, if you can do it, I'd suggest sticking with the Honda ATF-Z1 and maybe throw a little bit of some lubeguard (lucas?) in with it for a higher mileage car.

Can you put in regular synthetic ATF? Sure, but that's not how it was designed. It will function pretty normal but it sounds like the normal you're getting now feels weird so I'd go back to factory personally....

Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 PM

Oh also, if you are able you might pop a reader on and see if the ECU is showing any codes

Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM

I'd rather run OEM if it makes it shift better. I don't know what's in it currently, other than it looks pretty clean. The work thats been done on this car seems a little off since it's got a shiny new starter in it and just about everything around the starter was reinstalled incorrectly or not at all including the shift cable. It's got a recent oil change sticker in the window so that's a good sign but it leaks a ton of oil right now. Another issue to nail down.

As far as reading the ECU, is this the main ECU or is there something separate for the trans? There are no check engine lights.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

As "Sir" said, not sure if that was directed towards me....where is PA? ...sometimes this can turn into a debate. Anyway, I'm totally with using Honda Z1 (being replaced by DW1, so if you can't find Z1 but do find DW1-use it) fluid in these trans. Then if you are not sure, I'd plan on ~3 drain and fill cycles with Honda fluid. That will get most of the old out and set a good baseline for the next change.

I'm sure you checked the mounts, if not please do.

Don't need a codes reader for a 94, jump the service connector and check for blinks from either the D4 or CEL light. There are codes that can be set without making the CEL or D4 come on or flash while driving but will show up when the connector is jumped.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Picked up 4 quarts of DW1 at the dealer, they've already switched over and no longer carry the other stuff. I'll drain and change probably this weekend and see if there is any improvement. They wanted $180 to flush it at the dealer. This DW1 is over $8 a quart, friggen insane.

Where would I find the service connector jumper?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:58 PM

Found the write up for the service connector. 2 pin blue connector. Jumped it with a staple and nothing, I didn't notice anything different. No blinks. So either I did it wrong or I have no codes?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 PM

you can buy cases of the Z1 on ebay

Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by tashier
Found the write up for the service connector. 2 pin blue connector. Jumped it with a staple and nothing, I didn't notice anything different. No blinks. So either I did it wrong or I have no codes?
staple won't work bro. need to use a paper clip

Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

If no codes are stored, the check engine light will turn on and not blink if you properly shorted that connector.

Most of what I have read says to use Honda ATF. In my 95 shop manual it says to use Honda ATF or and equivalent Dextron2 ATF.

Quick Reply: 94 Accord Auto trans hard shifting