General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord being strange

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Default 94 accord being strange

I go to start it, and the d4 light starts blinking. After several minutes of turning the key off and on it stops blinking, but the car wont start. I go through this process for around 20 minutes, and it finally starts. I went to check the codes and the d4 did a quick blink, paused for a few, then a quick 8 blinks, paused for a few, 1 long blink and 3 quick, then 1 long blink and 4 quick. I might add that there were 2 blue obd, and 1 was not connected when I 1st looked under the glove compartment. Didn't know if that was normal or not.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Those blue connectors plug into dummy connectors, so they are basically held in place out of the way. This did not cause your problem.

The codes you described are 1, 8, 13, and 14. 13 and 14 point towards either a wiring problem between the the TCU and ECU, or a faulty ECU, and I would start with those two.

Here is the beginning of the procedure for diagnosing a code 13: Pull the 7.5 amp radio/backup fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute. Turn the ignition switch on and see if the D4 light starts blinking. Check for error codes like you did before.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the quick response, and I will do what you suggest.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Put the fuse back in before you try to check for codes.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:08 PM

I did what you suggested, and no blinking on d4 this time at all. I tried it with the fuse out, and with the fuse reinstalled.
(didn't get the last post until I got back inside (oops)

Last edited by dynosplint; 06-04-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Try to start the car and let us know what happens. Check for codes again after you try to start the car (successful or not).

Old 06-04-2010, 06:47 PM

After the car started, the only thing I noticed was the check engine light stayed on.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Check for codes like you did before and count the check engine light flashes.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 PM

I checked for codes like before, but there was nothing to count. d4 didn't light up at all, and check engine remained fully lit until I removed the wire from the obd.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I misread the last post.

Right now, there are no codes stored on your trans computer (TCU), due to the D4 light not flashing. And no codes on the engine computer (ECU) with the check engine light staying on when the service connector is shorted.

You could have a loose connection at the ECU or TCU. You can pull back the passenger side carpet under the dash and unbolt the metal plate that has the ECU and TCU. Check for loose/corroded pins and good connections.

A bad ECU or TCU can cause this problem. I would lean towards the TCU, since it showed other codes, but there is no guarantee that the ECU is not the problem.

A junkyard would be the cheapest place for them. You have to get an automatic ECU from a 94 or 95. If you have an EX, the donor car has to be an EX. The LX and DX are interchangeable. Look at a site like car-part dot com to find prices from junkyards near where you live.

All this information is in the 94 shop manual that you can download from the spooner link I posted in online manuals thread in the DIY section.

Quick Reply: 94 accord being strange