General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 accord bogs when accelerating.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Default 94 accord bogs when accelerating.

Lately Ive been having a strange problem. When driving the car will suddenly loose power and it would feel like its pulling a big rig behind me. If I attempt to accelerate it will bog untill I mash the peddle to the floor.

I havent had the chance to start taking anything apart yet,however parts I have replaced recently are: Fuel pump and filter,sprak plugs,wires and distributor. Dont get me wrong they could have alreayd fouled out,but not likely.

Any ideas are well appreciated.

No check engine light but the car does have a very light misfire.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 94 accord bogs when accelerating.

If problem usually occurs around 1800-2000 rpm when attempting to accelerate, EGR problem may be indicated. The problem can be caused by partial blockage of the EGR ports. Perhaps 1-2 are blocked and remaining are open. As you attempt to accelerate, the EGR flow is too high into the open ports, excessively leaning mixture, causing a "flat spot" in acceleration. This was very common in 90-97 Accords due to EGR manifold design. I believe there is a DIY for cleaning the EGR ports. If not, PM your email address to me and I'll forward a pdf of repair procedure. Pretty easy on 94-97 models.

If never done, it will also improve your NoX emission performance. I had to perform this maintenance to pass state emissions test.

good luck

Old 01-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Tryed that and they were farely clean. Im still having the problem as well as the slight misfire.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:30 PM

I had the same problem, but mine were spark plugs. Try to take some WD40 and clean the contact between the wire and the spark plug.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:54 PM

Plugs,wires,and distributor are all brand new.

Its now becoming a rough running/misfire condition more so than a bogging.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:41 PM

what kind of plugs do you have?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

In other situations w/ no Check Engine Light and drivability symptoms, the fix has sometimes been a replacement O2 sensor. Only way to know for sure would be an O2 sensor monitor (difficult w/ obd1). However, a replacement O2 sensor (universal) is inexpensive. Check ebay, etc.

good luck

Old 01-26-2009, 08:20 PM
mustangdrummer
Unregistered

Not trying to steal the post, but my 98 Accord 4cyl. is doing something similar. It cranks fine, runs down the highway fine, until it gets up to operating temp. If I try to accelerate it will start missing and bogging, eventually causing the check engine light to start blinking. If I slow down to a stop like at a red light, it sits fine for a moment, then a single miss, then two, then more until I have to slightly press the accelerator to keep it from dying. But I get back up to speed, and hold a steady speed, and it never misses, it runs like a top. The CEL code says cylinder 4 misfire, and O2 sensor failure. But when I kill it, it all clears. Then minutes later, it comes right back. I'm pretty mechanical, and am suspecting the coil as everything else looks ok, and it is only doing this when it's good and warm also makes me lean toward the coil as well. But I want a second opinion. It never acts up at all for the first five minutes or so of running, it waits until it gets warm. It only started this about 4 days ago, and it getting worse with each day. What do you think?